College

I Wouldn't Have Been Able To Adjust To College Life Without The Friends I've Made

Jumping into college right after high school is hard, but I did it.

166
Taylor Cust

I grew up playing sports in the state of Florida. When it came time to choose a college, I chose one in the state of Alabama, which was a big change. So, a lot of people have asked me how I handled the adjustment from high school sports to the life of a D1 athlete. I've also had tons of people ask me how I was able to adjust to leaving home and moving away to college to be on my own. Well, now that I'm a little over halfway done with my freshman year, here's how I handled it all.

To be honest, I kind of just rolled with the punches and did my best to find the best and easiest ways to get around and do things on campus. I asked questions and paid attention to what other people did or said so I had an idea of what I was doing, but there really isn't too much that you can do. Everyone is different and has different experiences and ways of handling things.

As far as athletics go, it was a big change. College sports is definitely not easy, and it will 100% test your limits in all aspects. People aren't lying when they tell you that you'll be tired all the time. Don't let that scare you away from playing the sport you love, but just remember, you will be sore and tired a good bit of the time. It is faster and requires a lot of personal discipline and responsibility, but it one of the most fun things that you will experience. Ask for help, lean on your friends and teammates and don't be afraid to talk about what's going on with you, no matter what it is.

As long as you work as hard as you can and never give up mentally and physically, you will survive it all.

As far as moving away from my family and my home, I can honestly say that I wouldn't have survived it without the friends that I made while I've been here. The people that surround me are the reason that I am able to make it through all of my struggles. When things get hard, they always brighten my day. When I'm struggling or having a rough time, they make me feel better and make me smile.

I honestly never knew that people could be so important and could influence my life so greatly. It is a small city, but it brought me some of the best people I've ever met. I have never met people who make me so happy and can enhance a day so quickly.

So, if you're wondering how people are able to adjust to college life, it's always the people that you surround yourself with that make everything easier to handle.