11 Things You Miss By Always Looking Down At Your Phone
Mobile Devices

11 Things You Miss When You're ALWAYS Looking Down At Your Phone

Take a break from your phone and be in the moment.

488

The world around us is so special but when I walk outside I can't help but feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of robots. We walk with our heads down, not even paying attention to what is going on around us. I am no exception because I have definitely been one to have my head wrapped up in something going on in my phone rather than taking the time to actually enjoy my walk. Because of this, I decided to put my phone away when I didn't actually need it... And this is what I noticed.

Your own thoughts. 

It's so refreshing to be able to walk to class and just think about what is going on in that present moment without any distractions from social media or people texting you. You realize that you can have free, real-time thoughts.

Doing an act of kindness. 

If your head is down and you aren't paying attention to what is going on around you, you miss out on opportunities like holding the door open for someone or helping someone pick up something they dropped.

Smiling at people you walk past. 

This is something so simple yet so crucial. You never know who you might run into so it's good to always have your head up and be ready to take advantage of the situation. Or just smile at a stranger — it could easily make their day.

How good your coffee or tea actually tastes.

Most people enjoy a nice cup of coffee or hot tea but when you are focused so hard on your phone, how much of your drink are you actually, truly tasting? When you are distraction free, that drink has a lot more flavor to it I promise.

Signs, poles, doors, etc.

Don't be that person who runs into a door or trips over a flight of stairs because you couldn't get your nose out of your phone. This should be obvious.

People watching. 

This is one of my favorite things to do. I love to see how people react to certain things, the way they walk and talk. It is so interesting how different we all can be when interacting with others. I think watching others can also help with your own communication skills, as well.

A funny moment. 

This goes hand in hand with people watching. You never know when something pure might happen so if you are always aware of your surroundings you might catch something really funny! This could make for a great story to tell your friends later, too.

An interesting conversation.

When you are waiting for class to begin, try talking to someone instead of sitting on your phone. You could make a new friend this way and if not, you at least had a decent conversation and some human interaction!

Nature. 

Seasons change and so do your surroundings. Be present and enjoy the outdoors. Breathe in some fresh air and feel alive! Appreciate the world around you.

Being present with the people around you.

It amazes me how often I see people on their phones when on a date, with family or just hanging out with friends. I can't stress enough how important it is to just be present with the people you are actually in the moment with!!!

A bad situation. 

Being aware could potentially save your life. You never know when something bad could happen so if you are constantly on your phone, you could easily be taken advantage of. Bad things happen a lot and you never think they will happen to you but it's important to think of ways be safe in your everyday life.

We have all been in the situation where we over use our phones and sometimes we have to. I understand it's easy to get carried away but I urge everyone to put their phone away when you go for a walk today and see what you notice.