Make The Changes You Know You Need To

You Do Not Have To Be An Addict For Drugs To Negatively Affect Your Life

Sometimes you just need to hit the reset button.

69

It doesn't have to be as dramatic as people make it out to be. You do not have to be an addict for drugs to cause problems in your life. Drugs impair us, and although it can be incredibly entertaining, it also dismantles our daily functionality.

As a young person, it is difficult to understand the lasting effects until we acquire them. I am not saying not to have a drink or not to have fun because everything is okay in moderation, but you need to find your own definition of moderation.

I love a mimosa in the morning along with my short stack of chocolate chip pancakes as much as the next person does, but when people joke about a t break or that they need to reevaluate, chances are joking about it is a coping mechanism for knowing you actually do not like how they are changing your life—your daily life.

I have reached a point where I do not think this about myself, but I just know they do not help any healing situation.

I have been told time and time again that I, "have so much potential, I just need to find the confidence to use it," and maybe reevaluating means also taking a break from these types of festivities.

I tell myself all the time that I will find time to read the books I have piled 2-pint glasses high, or to go to sunrise yoga, or to watch Ted Talks, and I end up finding reasons to postpone these rehabilitating, self-care activities.

There comes a time that you just need to do it. Reset. Not just tell yourself to do it, but really do it. Put down the things you are doing, tell people you need time to yourself, and just do them. Just do it.

As an athlete, I told myself this during each and every game. Just make the pass. Just score. Just go. Just do it. Now, unrelatedly to sports, in life, you just have to do it.

Whatever is stopping you, stop letting it. Go out and do what you've wanted, what you've needed to do. Break the cycle. Each day is a new opportunity to reset, so if you couldn't do it today, there is always tomorrow. One day you will be able to reach your full potential and be the person my mentor told me I would be one day. Find the potential. Find the confidence. Find the courage, because it is there. It is in all of us.