Are You Really Listening?

Are You Really Listening?

"Don't feed your ego with my soul"

122
Are You Really Listening?

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you're having a conversation with a person, or trying to and your point just never seems to get across? You can speak with so much passion and really concentrate your message to this person but they're to focused on their own beliefs and their ego that they will never fully understand you or your point of views. I know I've definitely been in both positions, being an active listener but also having a big ego and I can honestly say they are two things that will not coordinate well together, but of course this can always be fixed and you don't have to live this way forever!

When you're focused on your ego, you physically let it take over your mind. You begin to obsess over different aspects of your life, overthink and overanalyze pretty much everything. This may also come from built up anger, or being resentful, and even afraid to let the abundance and goodness impact your life. We as people tend to captivate ourselves in these mindsets, we don't really think about what we are doing or how presenting ourselves this way may be affecting others, and we're simply just not present in this part of life, which then leads us to being unhappy with various outcomes.

So how do we shift from this? By being a better listener, more so, active listeners. Active listening allows you to be more attentive of who you're talking to and how you'll understand their viewpoints even if you don't necessarily agree with them. This is important because every person is different, I know I've had many encounters with people who just don't have the same mentality or thought processes as me, and if you've ever experienced that yourself you know it's not always easy, but again, being an active listener will help you have better conversations and understand the person more profoundly.

Sometimes you have to go out of your way and make sure that person is really hearing you. Especially when this involves a type of disagreement, or strong emotions towards a person or a situation. You'll find that a lot of the time, people will be so focused in their own head and in their own thoughts that they won't really hear you, and will be more focused on what they will respond to you next, or you'll even notice that some people will only respond to a certain part of what you're telling them, so then were they really hearing you? Whenever I find myself in this situation, I like to ask the person " What did I just say? " and it helps me understand that they weren't really listening to me, but rather listening to what they want to hear.

I like to speak from my own personal experiences, and then adapt them to my posts because I know these are situations we deal with on a daily basis and my ultimate goal is to connect with anyone reading this in hopes to help you in any way I'm able to. If you're still here, I just want to say thank you for taking your time to read my posts, I hope I was able to spark some light in you, and encourage you to be authentic with yourself, don't hold back from being a better listener, you never know how much your life can change with this small act that can go a long way.