Accepting Change Instead Trying To Control It
Life Stages

I Finally Accepted That Things Don't Always Go According To Plan, And It's Changed My Life

Learning to live my life without expectations is how I learned to love life even more.

122

Life. I thought I had mine together throughout my adult years. I had an easy plan, I had my thoughts of a family, I had thoughts on where I thought I'd be instead of where I am. Don't we all?

Recently someone asked me how to choose a major in college when nothing just jumps out at them. My response? Take your time. Don't go for the quick, easy, and least stressful plan. I can guarantee that it will not happen the way you planned. It's stressful; it's sad; it's frustrating. Trust me. I have been there. When sitting with my advisor I had one plan for the rest of my life and then I veered off and chose something different. It didn't go the way I planned and trust me, I ended up just fine.

That boy or girl you think you'll be with forever, best of luck. I encourage you on this subject that things happen. Things change. Make it be something special but also make it help you learn yourself. Let it not be the one thing that dictates your entire life. Do not depend on another soul for happiness or a "forever" because trust me, those plans definitely change. I ended up just fine.

Your friends. You will be best friends. Trust me, high school is not enjoyable without your group of besties. You will promise for the rest of your life that you will remain close no matter how crazy life gets after graduation. Sadly, you really have no idea how much your life is about to change at that moment. With that, people will completely change. Yes, you will try to make everything work and stay close, but again — things happen. Plans change. and you will end up fine.

What I've learned as I've grown and had more wisdom and light shown in certain situations is that life is not going to go the way you planned. Mistakes and time make life go completely different. Your planner you organize daily will change and become chaotic and I promise the very last thing you'll be sad about is those plans. Why? Because life changes. Growing up is all about the ins and outs of how to do life perfectly, and we all fail eventually. Heck, I fail time and time again. The best part though? I have failed at being myself 100% of the time. I have failed; I have made mistakes; I have cried after exams, and laughed over friends lost. Over time I have learned that life is life, and nobody ever said it would be easy. In fact, the complete opposite on most days. I encourage you, don't let the ride deter you from living life. Go, live, chase all your dreams and adventures. Be yourself. Don't be afraid to put yourself first. Don't be afraid to cancel silly plans, change your major, or break up with a significant other who is toxic. Do it. Make the move and do something to better yourself and live a life worth living.

No, life didn't go the way I had planned, but it is going the way I know was made for me and I'm embracing the highs and lows. So if you are worried about life and how it isn't going the way you had planned, rest assured, life is going exactly the way it is meant to go. Now go, live it.