ACB: Why Her Nomination Is Completely Justified

"The President shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States."

41

Outrage has erupted over President Trump's Supreme Court nomination. Trump nominated Amy Coney Barrett for the seat formerly belonging to the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg, an icon of Leftist and Modern Feminist ideology.

Allegations of a "deathbed wish" made by RBG have circulated, claiming the Justice cited her only desire that her seat not be filled until a new President is elected. Senator Chuck Schumer and House Representative AOC did not hesitate to pounce on this; what kind of decrepit, morally vapid human being won't honor a dying woman's wish? Trump and his sidekick Mitch McConnell, of course!

I suppose I missed the "Dying Wish Clause" of the Constitution. I'll have to give it a reread.

The Left has also pointed to 2016 following the death of Antonin Scalia when President Obama's nomination was not confirmed by the Senate. Senators Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham repeatedly stated that a new justice should not be appointed during an election year. Take them at their word, Democrats say. What they said four years ago surely applies now, with a Republican Executive and Senate. It seems that Democrats have just now discovered that nearly all politicians are hypocrites, allies only to whichever narrative serves their partisan agendas at any given time.

Hypocrisy aside, both events follow the Constitution to a tee. In 2016, Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland. The Republican Senate did not confirm his nominee. Currently, Donald Trump nominated Amy Coney Barrett. The Republican Senate is rushing to confirm her. The Senate does not have to confirm the nominee- if they do not approve, they don't confirm her. That's the whole idea of checks and balances, a core principle on which our government is built to prevent any one branch from becoming too powerful.

The pearl-clutching from the Left is getting a bit old. Let's not pretend that they would act differently if the ball were in their court, with a Democratic President and a Democratic Senate, or that a Democratic Senate would have confirmed a Republican nominee back in 2016.

Let's stop the Partisan warfare and look at the facts. RBG was a warrior and resilient to the end. If nothing else, she fought for what she believed. That doesn't mean she gets to lay out the terms of choosing her successor. The Democrat's bitter partisanship, such as Pelosi's threats to impeach Trump for following the Constitution, is an embarrassment to her memory.

Rest in Peace, RBG. Welcome, ACB.