Why You Should Absolutely Listen To Sam Smith's Album Right Now

"In a world of reinventions, it's never too late."
173

You may only know about Sam Smith because of his incredibly over-played hit "Stay With Me" that played on the radio every twenty minutes for the better part of a year.

Even as someone who loved and still loves that song, I have to admit that I got tired of listening to his crooning every single time I got in a car. It's been two years since his first album, "In the Lonely Hour," was released, and now he has graced us all with his newest, "The Thrill of it All." He's come a long way from the sappy love songs that jump-started his career and has now started to write songs that show the deeper meaning of what it is to be human.

"I know you're right for me, but I'm waiting for everything in your world to align with my world."

There is so much uncertainty that comes with letting yourself be vulnerable to someone else and, in "Say it First," Sam Smith puts all of those feelings into words. One of the reasons that I love this album so much is the amazing job that is done of putting feelings that no one really knows how to express into words that we can all relate to.

"I lift my head up and the world is on fire. There's dread in my heart and fear in my bones, I just don't know what to say."

I was listening to this song, titled "Pray," on Spotify recently, and happened to look at the little pop up that tells you the meaning of the lyrics as they are played in the song. Apparently, this song is about Smith's visit to Iraq where he discovered that there was so much he'd been ignoring about the problems in the world. This song is about how it is so much easier to tune out the bad things that are happening instead of learning about them and making an effort to bring some good.

"I choose me, and I know that's selfish, love. You are a dream, and I can't thank you enough. But, I give another piece of me away every waking day that I'm with you."

This song, "Midnight Train," is one of the most imagery-packed songs that I've ever heard. It's stunningly beautiful. His vocals are amazing and really make you feel what he's feeling.

"So I'm gonna play my favorite rhythm; got to get you out of my system. I would do anything to get you off my mind. I'm gonna have to call my sisters, be around the ones who listen, anything to drown you out tonight."

"Baby, You Make Me Crazy" is the classic feel-good song. It's such a nice change from the deep and emotional roller coaster that the rest of the album is. There are so many good vibes in this one.

"In a world of reinventions, it's never too late"

The single greatest line on the entire album comes in the final song, "One Day at a Time." It's all about enjoying life, while not getting ahead of yourself and over-planning for the future. I'm a huge sucker for perfect endings to albums, and this one is no different. After the ups and downs that "The Thrill of it All" puts us through, this is a perfectly calming ending. I am stunned every time I listen to this album by the sheer beauty and talent that Sam Smith has. So, if you're looking for some new jams, check these out. Even if they don't end up being your all time favorites, I promise you won't regret it.