6 Things About Oregon Only Oregonians Know

By a born and raised Oregonian

265
https://unsplash.com/photos/ZB_Ns0hVZNk?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText
Photo by Zack Spear on Unsplash

What do you think of when you think of Oregon? Probably rain, trees, and hipsters? Those are all pretty true, but here are six more things you most likely didn't know about Oregon until now.

1. Even though it rains a lot, you never use an umbrella

Of course, some people use umbrellas. But for some reason, there's this vast unspoken rule that when it rains, we don't need an umbrella. We live in Oregon, after all, and real Oregonians don't need umbrellas.

2. We don't pump our own gas

We have a state law where we are legally not allowed to pump our own gas; instead, there are attendants who do it for you. If you ever see an Oregonian pumping their own gas in a different state, the reason we struggle is that we've never learned. So please be patient with us!

3. We don't have sales tax

Oregon and New Hampshire are the only states in the US that don't have a sales tax. To make up for it, we have a higher property tax. So if you're ever in the area and want to save a couple of bucks, do your shopping in Oregon.

4. How to say Oregon

It appears that most people who are not from the West Coast region are unaware of the real way of pronouncing Oregon. It's not Ore-ee-gone, it's Ore-uh-gun.

5. Food trucks are super popular

If you're in Portland, you can find a food truck wherever you turn. Portland is known for its quirky foods and the food trucks are no exception; you can find tofu and kimchi fried rice burritos, gluten-free chicken liver Khao Man Gai, or pork belly pancake sliders.

6. People love biking

People love biking here. Bike lanes are everywhere and they're always huge. Instead of Line or Bird, the rentable electric scooters, we have Biketown, a bike sharing system sponsored by Nike. If you ever visit and see the bright orange bikes, pay 8 cents a minute and hop on.