Judge Overturns Alabama Abortion Law

Abortion Is Still Legal In All 50 States, And That Is A Win For All Women

Fostering a better country, one overturned abortion ban at a time.

107

Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably know that earlier this year, Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed into law the Human Life Protection Act, which she says was to "foster a better Alabama." This would essentially make abortion illegal in the state of Alabama, banning nearly all abortion except for those to prevent serious health problems for the mother. This is essentially telling a woman that she would just have to suck it up and have a baby she cannot or will not care for properly.

While states are able to regulate aspects of abortion laws in their state, Alabama took it too far by trying to eliminate almost all abortions whatsoever.

The 14th Amendment protects a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy, but this law would take just that away from women. Staci Fox, president of Planned Parenthood Southeast Advocates, states, "this ban is blatantly unconstitutional." By the looks of it yesterday's results, she's right. The decision made yesterday, October 29, came along with other courts blocking similar bans in Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio.

See also: I'm A Small Town Christian From Alabama, But As A Woman, I Cannot Support Banning Abortion

While I personally don't agree with abortion and believe that it should never happen, I understand why it is legal in our country. It is currently legal in all 50 states to have an abortion, and I believe that it should stay that way. I acknowledge the fact that some people may not believe in the same things that I do and I do not see the point in shoving my beliefs down their throats. There are over 6,000 children in the system in our state alone. Abortion becoming illegal will raise these numbers and there is nothing to prevent that. By allowing women to have an abortion, we are allowing women to continue having their own voice.