Abiding Joy

Abiding Joy

God, the Creator of the universe, invites us to dwell in Him

23
Abiding Joy
Unsplash

There is quite honestly nothing like knowing, and being known by, your Creator.

The Invitation

I believe that one of the deepest desires of the human soul is to be fully known by another and fully loved and accepted nonetheless.

This is not an impossible romantic desire; this is a desire with which we were created because Jesus has made us for a wonderfully intimate relationship with Him.

Jesus has given us an invitation.

Abide in Me. (Jn. 15:1-7)

Believe in Me, unto abundant life! (Jn. 7:37-39)

Enter into God's full, Fatherly love. (1 Jn. 3:1-2)

God, the Creator of the universe, invites us to dwell in Him. He sees the galaxies and yet knows our every need. And, miracle of miracles, God Himself wants to dwell in us!

It is almost incomprehensible; behold the love of God! He wraps us in Himself. We are surrounded by the One Who is Love Incarnate. Then, God the Holy Spirit enters into us. We are indwelled by the Living God.

The Exchange

God's love is unconditional. He offers it no matter how we respond (Mt. 5:45).

But we can refuse to receive His love. We can refuse to yield to Him.

We can persist in the delusion that holding back our lives from God is a safer bet. We can assert that no one quite knows what would happen if we risked everything by trusting God, and it is wiser for us to control our lives.

We can choose the known devil of fighting battles too big for us and living a life too unsatisfying for our souls against the great unknown of surrender to God.

Or, we can take God at His word.

We can know that He is exactly Who He says He is—the Unchanging God (Mal. 3:6).

We can know His character, because He has revealed it (Ex. 34:6-7).

We can stake our faith on God's goodness rather than our own human wisdom.

And we can surrender our lives to the Faithful One. Only then will we find true life (Mt. 16:25-26).

The exchanged life is the abundant life. There is not room for my will to coexist with the will of God through His Holy Spirit. Only one of us can control my life. I yield to God so that He may have full possession of me (Rom. 6:13).

And I can testify with my whole being and with great joy that God's life is so far beyond anything that I have forsaken!

The Reward

Let me be clear: giving myself to God is not about my own happiness. God could be some harsh ruler who is still worthy of everything simply because He is God.

But He isn't. He created us for fellowship with Himself. God is perfect Love, perfect Truth, the Creator of Beauty, perfect Justice, absolute Holiness, and so much more. Every virtue stems from God's own nature. And this is the God Who invites us to enter into His Life!

There is nothing that compares to knowing that I am a beloved daughter of the King of Kings.

Like John the beloved disciple, I can lean my head on my Lord's bosom and hear His heartbeat (Jn. 13:23).

Like Israel of old, I am chosen and set apart by my God (Deut. 7:6-8).

Like the little children with Jesus, I can boldly enter the throne room of the Almighty and lay my petitions before my Father (Heb. 4:14-16).

Like a bride for her groom, I am made radiant and pure for my Jesus (Eph. 5:25-27).

Oh, my God is good! There is nothing on earth that compares to being known and loved by the All-Knowing One. Even when we are distressed by the trials of life, He is the Sustainer (2 Cor. 4:7-10).

And this life here on earth is only a foretaste of His perfect Love and unity.