'Abducted In Plain Sight,' Increased My Trust Issues By Leaps And Bounds

Seriously though, this Netflix documentary was immensely disturbing.

7

If you're into both drama and watching documentaries, then you must watch this film on Netflix.

The story starts off by describing the characteristics of a close family friend and neighbor, known as "B," who had a strange obsession over a little girl, Jan.

Now, here's where the film takes a complete turn - B decides to manipulate Jan's parents into a strange sexual relationship with him in order to get them out of the picture and begin grooming and getting closer to Jan.

Not only that, but as soon as B has the opportunity to kidnap her, he not only does it once but twice, with the parents' acknowledgment.

Instead of calling the FBI or police as soon as possible, the parents actually decide to wait it out and see what happens, which is completely mind-blowing.

Poor Jan not only goes through an evident traumatic rape by B but is also psychologically mind-washed by him.

With all that being said, here's where the trust issues begin...

Truly all of the trauma and awful experiences would not have happened if the parents didn't forbid it all in the first place.

What kind of parents decide to wait out calling the police in the midst of a kidnapping?!

Parents should always be there for protection, and honestly, I believe those parents were just opening the door for this child molester.

Secondly, didn't the mom find it strange in the first place that there is close to middle-aged man constantly taking pictures, wanting to sleep with her daughter every night, and constantly want to give her, "hugs?" If I saw any man doing that to my own child, I would be worried and utterly disgusted.

Thirdly, why should you blindly trust a neighbor with your kids alone not truly knowing where they're going? My parents would always go with me to make sure that I arrived somewhere safe when I was a little girl.

Even now, they always know the location in which I'm headed.

I'm surprised that Jan nowadays still trusts her parents despite all those things that occurred.

She truly has a brave soul.