A Year in Review...

A Year in Review...

2019 was truly a movie and I cannot wait to see what the upcoming year has to bring.

242
A Year in Review...

If you told me four years ago where I'd be in my life- friends, school, the things I've experienced- I would probably walk away and tell you that you were crazy. I find it so intriguing how with time, so many unexpected things can happen, good or bad. With the new year ahead of me, I wanted to take some time to reflect on the past year because 2019 was an important year for me and I think it's interesting to see how much I have changed,

I started off the year as a senior in high school almost done with my second semester. I had finished all of my college applications but was still undecided on what I truly wanted to do with my life. I had applied to a lot of medical programs, but my heart was not 100% into any of these applications because I didn't know what else I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to study something in the STEM field but I knew that medicine was not really it. To be honest, I applied to make others happy rather than myself. Although I was stressed I was looking forward to my second semester of senior year, which every high school graduate awaits eagerly. When the second semester started my rank was finalized and the stress I had building on me for four years was finally off my back and I could breathe. I was working in the beginning of the year and took time off my job after the first few months, which became a permanent change.

The second half of senior year was honestly an amazing time in my life and a highlight of 2019. I participated in senior assassin, went to senior prom, cruised around NY on the Hudson with my peers for project graduation, and got to spend time with my friends.

After several rejections and acceptances and a lot of deliberation, I finally committed to Rutgers University Honors College. I was unsure at first, but having finished my first semester here I definitely know I made the right decision. I graduated high school in June and went to orientation where I became friends with a lot of new people. I had never really visited Rutgers before so being there and learning about it with other students was very eye-opening.

Summer 2019 was amazing and held a lot of firsts for me; I went to California with my close friends and we got to see all the sights of LA and my personal favorite of the trip, Catalina Island. I attended many graduation parties and had a blast with my friends celebrating their acceptances. I was a first-time counselor at the camp I attended every year in Schuylkill Haven, PA; spending a week as a counselor was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had and I hope I have time to counsel again this year. In August went to my first ever concert; seeing Shawn Mendes at the Barclays Center was fun, and even a little nostalgic because I used to be such a huge fan of his.

At the end of August I moved in and started my first semester of college as an intended animal science major on the prevet track rather than a biology major for premed and I feel so much more confident in what I am studying towards now. I have a goal and I am going to do everything I can in 2020 to further it.

I made the raas/garba team at Rutgers, something I have been looking forward to ever since high school when I would binge-watch videos of different teams in the circuit. I never thought I would be good enough to join such a team, but I proved myself wrong. We won our first competition in Washington DC and have more competitions ahead of us in 2020, something I am very excited for.

2019 taught me a lot and the main things I took away from it were to go with the flow and embrace change. I learned that I actually like talking to people and interacting socially with others. I also realized that not everyone is going to put the same energy into a relationship so it is up to me to find happiness in myself and put my time and energy towards those who will reciprocate it. I also learned to try new things and to not be so uptight all the time.

Overall I think 2019 was a year of change for me; I laughed and cried but always kept moving forward, which is what I plan to do 2020 and the coming years. Here's to the future!