A Woman's Right To Choose: Is It Right Though?

There is no black and white when it comes to abortion, but a murky and blurred grey area.

14

A recent post by our beloved Charmed Sister and now activist, Alyssa Milano, sent fans and haters on a frenzy. This topic, touchy to begin with, revolved around Milano's confession of having two abortions early on in her career.

Milano states, "My reasons for having an abortion are real. They surround me every day. I knew at that time, I was not equipped to be a mother, and so I chose to have an abortion. I chose. It was my choice. And it was absolutely the right choice for me."

This statement, found on Milano's own Instagram page, caused a war between those who believe it is the woman's right to choose and those that believe abortion is committing murder.

Alyssa Milano's Instagram Page

I can understand the pressure and stress that comes with finding out you are pregnant at an unfortunate time of your life. Either you are still a child yourself, a trauma occurred resulting in an unwanted pregnancy, or maybe you just never saw yourself as being a mother. The thought crosses most of our minds at one point, no matter if the thought was a fraction of a second or we were seriously considering the option. It is not a situation that I would wish on anyone. No matter what choice is made, there is an impact. You are forever a different person than you were before that stick changed your life.

When I saw Milano's post, I felt for her. I knew her decision was not made lightly. And as she stated, it was her choice. Her public admission made me think about who is right and who is wrong in this scenario because, when we talk about abortion, there is no black and white but a murky grey. The edges are blurred to the point where you cannot see if you have crossed over that line of right or wrong. Morals come into question.

Without pause, people attacked Milano's post. The comments were hurtful to the point that they could make any person reading them, emotional. The attack was blind with fury while also neglecting to imagine how torn the person was when faced with making a decision.

Personally, I could never see myself crossing over that line where I choose to abort. The point is, that is my choice. It is something I know I could not go through. I cannot expect other people to come to the same decision as me and I don't expect it. Is it right or wrong, I can't say. Until you are in that body during whatever is going on at the present time, it is not up to you to dictate who does what with their own body.

I commend Alyssa Milano for being the type of woman who does not shy away from controversy or difficult to speak about topics. Her strength and bravery to speak about something so difficult, knowing she would be on the receiving end of hate from millions of people, speaks in volume to her personality and is one to be admired.