Unusual Facts about Vacation Spots

A Unique Perspective on your Favorite Vacation Spots

There's more to them than meets the eye.

8
Sara Enyeart (2015)

Paris, New York City, Hawaii, Rome, Cancun, Los Angeles. This is just a short list of the most popular vacation destinations each summer. I'm sure everyone has scrolled through numerous beach pictures or sunset dinners on their instagram feed. The common denominator of each of these scenic pictures is that they've most likely been photographed at one of the mentioned locations. What most people don't typically spent time researching are unique attributes of each of these cities, so that's why I'm creating this post - Enjoy!

1. Paris, France

Paris is famously known for historical monuments such as the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, and the Louvre. The City of Love is constantly swarming with international travelers, who are seeking out adorable street cafes and delicious baguettes. What most do not realize about their beloved city is that the Eiffel Tower was actually meant to be a temporary installment or that there is only ONE stop sign in the entire city, which is located in the 16th arrondissement. One final interesting fact about Paris is that it is home to a second Statue of Liberty, which faces the Statue of Liberty in New York, symbolizing the friendship between the two nations.

2. New York City, U.S.A

What isn't in New York? The city is home to the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park. It, too, is constantly filled with tourists wanting to experience life in the Big Apple. The notable yellow and black taxis drive across the city, transporting thousands of individuals each day, but one fact that most people are unaware of is that these cars used to be painted red and green. New York City has been given numerous titles, the "Big Apple" being the most common, but the "Big Apple" wasn't always a reference to the city. It was originally used to describe the prize money offered at popular horse races in the city.

3. Hawaii, U.S.A

One of the most serene locations for surfing and sunsets, Hawaii is an extremely popular vacation destination for those who desire to lay out on the beach and relax. One interesting fact about this paradise is that Hawaii is the only state in the US to not have any straight lines for its borders. The Big Island grows about 42 acres every year, due to constant volcanic activity. Billboards and snakes are illegal on all islands, and Hawaii is the only state in the US to grow coffee, cacao, and vanilla beans.

4. Rome, Italy

This final destination is home to landmarks such as the Colosseum, Roman Baths, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and so much more. It is also uncommonly known that more than 700,000 euros are tossed into the Trevi Fountain each year; all proceeds are donated to Caritas. Rome also has an entire museum dedicated to the history of the varieties of pasta. Finally, one law in Rome states that no harm can be done to wild cats in the place of their birth, which is why numerous homeless cats can be found in the Colosseum and in Roman ruins.

Hopefully some of these facts surprised you, or encouraged some to dig a bit deeper on the history of their next vacation destination!