A Stylish Day at the Office

A Stylish Day at the Office

5

In about five weeks, many of us will be saying our goodbyes for the summer and packing up our belongings.   You may be venturing on to a new experience in your life, such as an internship. 

We all know our advisors, parents, and future boss’s would love to see an internship on our resume. So, we suck it up, and get to work. After much researching and searching for your internship, it’s about time to search for the fun parts about being a working lady. Some companies will condone a strict wardrobe when entering the office. Some may not. For instance, my internship last summer was at an apparel showroom in Chicago, where we could wear whatever we wanted that would show our unique style. That being the case, I got to go shopping for cute, stylish clothes, and actually have a reason when my parents yell at me about how much money I spent.  Oops. So, what are the latest trends for business wear? What can you wear, and what is still inappropriate?

One trend that nobody can get enough of is the maxi dress/skirt. Maxi’s are a perfect item for casual business wear because they will never be “too short.” However, make sure to throw a white or black blazer over them, too enhance the “business look.” Other outfits can include a floral dress or printed trousers, which are appearing everywhere these days. Pair your trousers with a neutral colored blouse and a comfortable pair of flats. Your 9-5 hour day may be long, but at least you will look cute.

With all of the new trends this season, you are sure to find something appropriate and chic. Make sure you stay away from “night clubbing” dresses for work. No employee wants to see what some of us wear at Ten Below. Another outfit we all may want to consider ditching for our internship are the high-waisted jean shorts and crop top. I know, I know. That is going to be so hard to do, especially since crop tops are very in this year again. However, your boss won’t want to see your stomach when you hand them their Venti coffee from Starbucks.

For me, it was never fun waking up at 8 a.m. to head downtown, especially on Mondays. But, waking up knowing I got to put on a cute outfit made the day a lot easier. Remember to stick to an outfit that is business casual, yet still fun to wear. Yes, having an internship means spending money on business clothing, but hey, it’s an excuse to go shopping.

Good luck this summer,

Lindsey