Fall 2019: A Semester Of Growth

Fall 2019: A Semester Of Growth

This semester was a busy one, but taught me so much.

1
Bibb Graves Hall In Christmas Lights.
Personal Photo

Looking back at this semester, there's one word I could use to sum it up. That one word is growth. I saw growth in my physical life, my skills for my future career in teaching, but most importantly, I saw my spiritual life grow as well.

One group of verses has constantly been placed in front of me all semester. Philippians 4:6-7 is that verse. In everything, regardless of what has come my way over the course of this semester, God has continually placed those two verses in front of me to remind me that He is bigger than my problems. He is bigger than anything I face. He is so much better than anything I could ever run to.

One thing that really tested me this semester was my grandmother having her stint for dialysis put in. When I called my mom to check in and tell her we were on the way to my girlfriend's house for the weekend, she told me that she had quit breathing while on the operating table and that they were keeping her overnight for observation.

Hearing that she had quit breathing during the procedure made me anxious. I felt powerless. I was afraid of losing someone who had been the rock of my family ever since my grandmother passed away in 2003.

Fortunately, by the time I had gotten to my girlfriend's house, and we had gotten settled, I called my mom to check-in, and she said my grandmother was back to being her normal goofy and sometimes ornery self. I had prayed on the way up to my girlfriend's house that my grandmother would pull through and be okay.

Another time this semester when I felt that feeling of anxiety and powerlessness was when an international student I had been connecting with and becoming close with suddenly passed away. I began having that feeling of whether or not I had done enough or shown him an example of God's love for us.

I found out later that he had been saved. I can rejoice in the fact that he is in Heaven today, worshiping our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

There have been trials this semester, but there have been so many joys as well. I've been so blessed to serve God with the gifts He gave me, playing bass during worship at the BCM. I've been placed in a group of guys' lives to help lead them in their walks with Christ.

I learned so much on how to manage a classroom in Classroom Management. So many lessons learned that I will take with me to my classroom when I begin teaching.

Overall, I would say that the word growth is very fitting for this semester. I grew in so many ways, and I saw my faith continue to grow as well. I'm so thankful for the many challenges that came my way and taught me so much. As the sun sets on another semester, I pray that God continues to use me on campus and continues to allow me to learn what He wants me to learn.