A New Year's Resolution MUST

A New Year's Resolution MUST

Okay... I know you're all thinking, "Really? We just got through Christmas and you're going to talk about New Year's Resolutions?!?"... I know it's soon but I really really wanted to share with you something I did during December that I think everyone needs to do at least once or twice a year, so give me 5 minutes and I promise it will be worth your time :)

Normally I find the Instagram adds annoying, and kind of freaky how they know what I was just thinking about 20 minutes beforehand. But last month I found a link to Harper and Willow 25 Days of Kindness Cards. I was curious and they sucked me in so I checked it out. The description from the website is "This project is so special to me as it exemplifies the importance of kindness. Each card has a unique phrase so that you can share with the ones you love most and the strangers you encounter everyday." I was hooked. Whipped out the credit card and placed that order faster than the add popped up on my feed.

Those of you that know me or have read some of my articles know that my favorite quote is "Do small things with great love" by the AMAZING Mother Teresa. And these 25 Days of Kindness cards were right up my alley! I think I checked my email three times a day to see if there was an update on the shipment & delivery date I was so excited. So as I'm sure you guessed, I got right to it the day they came.

Small things with great love... that's exactly what these cards are all about. Each one had a different saying on it like "You are special to me," "You look ______ today!" "Time spent with you is time well spent." Little sayings like that, all different... small little affirmations that can make someone's day. I am a firm believer that you never know what someone is going through. So the smallest act of kindness, like a smile or holding the door can mean the world to someone and holds the potential to completely change their day.

I made a list of all the different cards and set out to decide the best cards for each person. But it was harder than I thought and soon realized that I would need waaaay more than 25 cards to reach and thank all of the incredible people in my life. Each card was so unique that it truly caused me to stop and really reflect on the importance and impact of each person in my life, an activity that was much needed.

With each card, I put in a little square of paper with a kindness quote and the day out of 25, with the hopes of spreading a little sprinkle of kindness with every card.

Now, I by no means am saying that the only way you can do this is with the 25 cards that I bought from Harper and Willow, but I really really encourage you to try a similar activity this new year of 2019. Take the time to reflect on the impact the people around you have on your life, on the person you are today, and the person you will be tomorrow. And let them know! Take the time to thank them, or to remind them how much they mean to you or how much you love them. Write a letter, send a text, take a picture or make a phone call. Do it once at the beginning of the year and maybe again at the end? Or another time in the middle?

No matter what you do, let those around you know how much you love them and remember how much you are loved. Spread kindness and do "small acts with great love."

Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year!

-Gab

168