'A Man Called Ove' Reminds Us To Seek Out The Good In Everyone Around Us

Ove is the ultimate grump, but he is also a character that causes readers to love him dearly.

9

"You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll feel new sympathy for the curmudgeons in your life." – People

Frederik Backman is one of my favorite authors because he understands people. He knows how that there is more to a person than what meets the eye. Ove is one such person. He is titled a curmudgeon, the kind of man you decide to avoid even if it means walking a greater distance. His principles are unmovable, his mood can swing in the blink of an eye, and his routines will happen even if it is the end of the world. Backman peels back the bitter exterior to reveal a story, a story that will bring tears, not necessarily tears of sadness but of how heartfelt the story is. When one morning a young family moves in next door, it leads to a beautiful story filled with laughter and tears, sometimes both at the same time. And yes, Ove might be the stereotypical old man who is the enforcement of his neighborhood's residents' association, and you might not be able to get away with anything under his watch. Still, he is a reminder of how important it is not to judge when you don't know someone. This charming novel is about the angry neighbor, but it reveals that there is more. It is an exploration of how rare and precious life is to have such an impact on the world around it.

A Man Called Ove Romance/Drama film with a 91% Rotten Tomatoes Score directed by Hannes Holm and starring Rolf Lassgård

You definitely need the subtitles on for this one, unless you know Swedish. Nominated for multiple awards, this movie adaptation is a truthful account of the book. Although I will always advocate that the book is better, in this case, whichever mode you have the time for, embrace it. The story is worth it, and if you enjoy, it there is plenty more where that came from in Backman's books.