WOMANKIND

WOMANKIND

A Magazine Meant for This Century

29
WOMANKIND

Over this past weekend I wandered through the aisles of books at Barnes and Noble, unsure of what I would pick up. I was only there for a short time, so "nothing too serious, that would keep me hooked", I thought. I rarely cruise through the magazine section, but this time one magazine, in particular, caught my eye. Its bold, capitalized title struck me, "WOMANKIND" it read. The cover had a portrait of a Victorian woman holding a black and tan Gordon setter dog, which was just as intriguing.

I didn't know what to expect. These days, magazines tailored towards women are quite superficial and bland. These old fashioned magazines bring up topics they feel women want to read, but which women do not always care a lot about. These magazines discuss the "hottest new celebrities" or "the best nail polish to wear at fall weddings," none of which have any real substance. While most 'women-tailored' magazines are stuck in the 20th century, we are out here living in the 21st century, fighting to give women more of a say than just "their favorite type of high-heels."

I picked it up anyways, hoping this magazine would be at least slightly different from the rest. At first glance through the magazine it had lots of text, more than most. It contained anecdotes, information on artists and their messages, photographs, paintings, quotes thrown into its pages by well known authors like Charlotte Bronte and Elizabeth Bowen, and finally less pictures of celebrities. This magazine contains art in a myriad of forms. Although obtaining an antiquated, rustic look it contains modern feminist ideas.

I looked further into this magazine and learned that Womankind was founded in 2014 in Australia and has been publishing magazines quarterly ever since. Each magazine is named after either a country, animal or plant, as the one I picked up was called "England." Besides being a more substantial magazine for women, Womankind has been titled a philosophical magazine that studies past and present thinkers to help people now, learn how to live a more fulfilling life, whether it be by: aimlessly walking or really believing in the concept of hope (both from their most recent issue).

This magazine is a good read. Pick it up, who knows you might end up living a happier, more fulfilling life.