A Letter To My Adopted Sibling

A Letter To My Adopted Sibling

How adoption changed my life for the better

81
A Letter To My Adopted Sibling

Dear Tizita,

I remember vividly when Mom and Dad told us that you were going to join our family. To be very honest with you, I was not excited that you were going to be joining us. I was the only girl, the center of attention. I clung onto Mom and Dad like --. They told me they were leaving for Africa in a few months, and my anxiety rose through the roof. I could barely survive without my parents for a few days, let alone over a week. That didn't even include the fact that we would only be allowed a few calls and emails throughout the whole time period that they would be gone.

During the days until they left, I cried myself to sleep. I was terrified of the fact that they were leaving me for so long. Months flew by like minutes, while the week that would seem like an eternity approached. My stomach felt like it was upside down, and I feared the future. When the time arrived, Mom and Dad had an early flight, so when I woke up they were gone. The whole time they were gone I felt panicked and fatigued. I could never fall asleep due to the fact that I was crying too hard. I couldn't be without company, so my grandparents and aunt had to take turns staying by my side.

When it was time for you to come home, I remembered how we waited anxiously for you in the airport lobby. All of us had matching t-shirts on with your cute little face on it. We brought lots of balloons because you were surely something that we needed to celebrate! I kept peering down the long hallway, waiting for the moment that you, Mom, and Dad would all turn the corner; and we would be able to be a whole family. After a little bit of impatient waiting, there you were, wrapped up in Dad's arms and snuggling your pink polka-dotted blanket (that you still have!!). At that moment, none of us had a dry eye as we embraced each other. At that moment we were family.

Before I met you, I was really worried about you joining our family. I read a few books about adding a newly adopted member to a family, and the books always told me that even though you were not related by blood, I would feel as if you were my biological sister. I questioned this idea. You looked different than me. Your skin was different, your hair was different, your eye color was different, where you came from was different....how could we feel the same?

Little did I know, the books were right. While at first things seemed a little different, I eventually realized how we were the same. You were a bubbly, happy, silly baby. As I would read to you, snuggle with you, watch tv with you, or do anything with you, you would always find a way to make me smile and laugh. I spent so many moments memorizing the lines of "Toy Story," turning you into a Taylor Swift fan, cuddling with our dogs, and spending time with "our" friends (when my friends came over, you always said that they were "our friends"). I loved to show everyone how you could do your cool backbends and how you had beautiful curly hair.

As you grew up, we shared a lot more fun moments together, and even though I'm now at college, we still hold the sisterly bond that we had before. I love the moments we share snuggling in bed and watching Disney movies, teaching the dogs about how special they are, and teasing each other with sassy comments. People always praise our family for allowing you to join our family when in reality, we are way more grateful for the impact that you've had on us. You have taught me so much about the world as well as about myself. You've taught me to care about my friends and those who may be having a hard day. You've taught me how to make new friends and how to make people feel included. You've taught me the importance of taking care of the earth and how to take care of animals. But most importantly, you've taught me how to love with all of my heart with the hope of nothing in return.

We may not look the same or have the same background, but we will always share the same love for each other.

And that's all we need to truly be sisters.

Love you always,

Charlotte