What White Privilege Really Is, And What It Isn't

A Guide to White Privilege

Understanding what white privilege is, how to recognize it, and when to educate someone who doesn't.

240
A Guide to White Privilege

First things first, let's make sure we all understand the difference between circumstance and privilege. According to the Oxford Dictionary, circumstance is "a fact or condition connected with or relevant to an event or action." Privilege is "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group."

Understand that these two are not the same.

As a white person, when someone tries to educate you about white privilege, do not intervene with a statement about your hardships of circumstance. It does not matter if you are the most unfortunate white man speaking to the most fortunate black man. Regardless of individual circumstance, any black person in America today faces hardships based on the color of their skin any white person does not. This is not to say that a white person cannot face hardships, just that the color of their skin is not one of them.

Take two individuals of equal circumstance — if one of those individuals is black, they will face unique hardships the other will not because of systematic racism. They lack the privilege that gives the white individual a pass. As a white person, your actions are not perceived as those of all your race. You are not profiled by those in power, the system favors you. Band-Aids are made for your skin color. You are less likely to be suspended from school. You are more likely to get away with a traffic violation. You are more concerned with the buildings being vandalized during protests than the innocent lives that have been lost throughout history.

That is white privilege.

Next, let's look at the statement "all lives matter."

Saying "black lives matter" is not a statement of confrontation. Nowhere in that statement is it implied that other lives don't matter. No matter how accepting you THINK you sound when you say "all lives matter," you are just, once again, discounting black voices. Instagram account @blessthemessy explains with a metaphor, "if you were at an event supporting people with breast cancer, no one would run in and scream 'all cancer matters'" No one is saying it doesn't. Saying something matters means it's something that should be advocated for, not that everything else is meaningless.

Lastly, don't rely on your black community to educate you.

Google it, observe, listen. Educate others, be an advocate, recognize privilege in your peers. Call your grandma out on Facebook. We, as young adults, have an obligation to use our voice and advocate for the future. If educating your family is the hardest thing you face in the BLM Movement, you, my friend, are privileged.

Even if you personally have never engaged in a racist act, you have actively benefitted from a system that is built against POC. Boycott businesses and organizations that do not actively denounce racism and social injustice. This is not a political issue, this is human rights. Do better.

To sign petitions, donate, and find resources go to blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/

Credit for header artists:
Twitter @zaynscandycane
Instagram @kitagar