A Guide To Being Positive

A Guide To Being Positive

Ways to be positive and remain that way (almost) everyday.

138
A Guide To Being Positive

Honestly, life sometimes isn't all that great and it sucks especially if you're a college student. Not only are you broke and sleep deprived, but you are also constantly thinking and worrying about your future while also trying to balance a social life.

In short, it can lead to a lot of mental breakdowns and make you feel like you might not be cut-out for your dreams and aspirations in life. So it's important to pick yourself up and give yourself a pep talk occasionally when you're feeling down and hit a wall.

​Get Some Sleep!

You've probably heard this a lot, but a lot of how you're feeling is dependent on the amount of sleep you get. I don't mean just regular sleep, I mean REM (random-eye-movement) sleep. This might be hard at first, but dedicate most of your nights to setting yourself a bed-time, avoid being on your phone 10 minutes before going to bed, and set it far away from your bed so you aren't tempted to go on it if you aren't sleepy. And if you can't fall asleep, try aromatherapy, essential oils (it really works), even ASMR if you're into that. Getting that 7 hours of sleep will benefit not only your mood, but also your skin. By skin I don't just mean acne, but also those under eye bags that I'm sure are a result of staying up too late trying to cram and get that 4.0 on an exam the next day.

Go Workout!

Working out is easily the best way to improve your mood. It is proved scientifically and at the end of the day you just feel better about yourself. By no means do I mean that you have to be a gym rat, but at least dedicate an hour max of your day to exercising. Not only will it help you feel energized, but it is also an amazing, natural way to be healthy.

Get More Organized!

This is one of the parts that I personally had a lot of difficulty maintaining, but it honestly is a lifesaver. I am in multiple clubs, work, and am also a STEM major which at first glance probably gives you the idea that I probably have absolutely no social life - but I promise I do and so will you if you organize. Get google calendar, use that reminder phone app and make a "TO DO" list for yourself. You can utilize all these FREE tools- they're there for a reason. Plus, to-do lists not only help you remember things that you need to get done, but it is so satisfying to check off that box next to a certain task that you have to get done. You feel less overwhelmed if you have a lot of things to do and once you get done with all of them, you feel a lot more productive!

Give the 'Rents a Call/Text

Going away to college made me homesick after a while. For example, and foreign kids will especially get this, when I would study or seemed to be working on something important, my mom would always cut up fruits and bring them in my room for me. In college I have to cut my own fruits and get my own food. In short, you're not as laid-back and spoiled (first world problems). BUT that doesn't mean you can't occasionally send a text in the family group chat or call your mom/dad when you're feeling down. Even though they might get on your nerves sometimes, at the end of the day they know you better than everyone else since they basically have been dealing with your ups and downs ever since you were born. These are the few people in your life who will always have your best intentions in their heart. Give them a call, let them give you a pep-talk or a lecture if you can't give yourself one, and cherish the moment because one day you'll miss it.

Do Your Best To Prioritize

This is another hard one and if you're anything like me, you have a really bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out). Try not to do this in absolutely no shape or form because it is dangerous. Don't try to prioritize going out to Harper's with your friends or some party over things that you actually need to get done. This takes a certain level of discipline and could easily be the number one cause of almost every college student's stress. Get that homework or studying done prior to going out or doing something else. DO NOT procrastinate because that can honestly make or break you, especially if you get in the habit of doing it. A good way to look at it is student loans. They're piling up year after year, so might as well put school ahead of friends because I promise you that you won't miss out on anything and if you pick the right people to hang around, they won't make you feel left out. Chase the degree, not the drink.

Don't Forget To Treat Yourself

Reward yourself for your hard work and accomplishments. Life can be so hectic sometimes that it can also result in us being really hard on ourselves. Because of this, always remember to be gentle with yourself and give yourself credit for all that you do and try to do - you're doing the best you can! Get that ice cream after a work out and go out with your friends after you ace that test. Doing so will boost your self-esteem, your mood, and help you be consistent with attaining your goals. If you give yourself positive reinforcements or incentives, chances are that you will most likely get them done.

I hope this helps at least someone out there, but I would be lying to you if I said that this is easy to master completely. What I will say though is: it is definitely possible to get in the habit of doing because at the end of the day, why make life harder than it has to be when there are so many things you can do to make it a lot easier?

Until next time,

Salsa.