What would I tell my younger self?
Parents

5 Things I Wish I Knew 10 Years Ago

Growing up is a wild roller coaster of experiences.

568
5 Things I Wish I Knew 10 Years Ago

Ten years ago today, I was sitting in the rear row of my fifth grade class writing a letter to my fifteen year old self. It prescribed everything I wanted to be when I grew up. Although I didn't have a chosen profession quite yet, I wrote a list of viable options. There was a pediatrician, dentist, fashion designer, and stay at home mom. I had visions of what it was like to be an adult, make life-altering decisions, and be independent. I knew that I would experience that eventually, but I wasn't very patient in the process.

I wanted to grow up fast. Now I'm nearing my twenties and would love the chance to give my younger self a bit of advice.

1. It's okay to fall.

Just get right back up and try again. Even though that's the most basic advice that circulates year after year, it stands true for any situation.

2. Don't let your past get to you.

We all make mistakes. It's only human to admit your faults and move on to make yourself a better person. As long as you learn from your past, there's no issue with dismissing it.

3. Do what you're passionate about.

No two people have the exact same interests. If there's an activity or club you're excited about, join it. Chances are, you'll make new friends and find like-minded individuals to connect with.

4. Focus on yourself.

It's up to you to explore who you are and what you want to be. Don't let anyone stand in your way.

It's up to you to explore who you are and what you want to be. Let your decisions guide you along the way. Be strong at all times. Take your parents' advice into consideration. Speak up for yourself and others. Take care of yourself. Respect everyone. There are so many more things to say, but it would probably take about ten years.

Although it can be fun at times, growing up isn't easy. It takes so much more maturity and responsibility than anticipated. Things don't always work out in your favor and you have to understand that it's for the best. Events will take place and allow you to learn a lesson from them. No matter the outcome, it signifies life experience to hold onto and utilize in the future.