activism and resistance
Politics

Burning Trees of Life - A Country's Resistance

The burning of these trees symbolizes the people's resistance to the corrupt and violent government.

13
Jorge Torres/EPA [The Guardian]

Nicaragua's Trees of Life were instilled all over the country by the Vice President and First Lady, Rosario Murillo.

Over the past four months, Nicaraguan students have protested against the Nicaraguan government's actions of withholding money from the pension plans of the elders. These peaceful protests grew in number, thus showing the disapproval of the government's actions. Police and local pro-government groups began attacking the students and their university, killing several of the youth. An outrage of these innocent deaths grew across the country, leading to more marches and protests. Again, they were attacked and many more were killed and injured.

On Nicaraguan Mothers Day, May 30th, a national march set in the capital, Managua, was organized to remember all the sons and daughters killed by the government and their clans. This to date has been the largest march ever organized. Unfortunately, the police and their supporters invaded and attacked protesters. Many were injured and some even killed. Orlando Córdoba, only 15, was shot in the head right in front of his mother. This has led to more protests and the people have united to stand up to the government.

The burning of these trees symbolizes the people's resistance to the government. They no longer want President Ortega and Vice President and First Lady, Murillo. Months have passed and although the OAS [Organization of American States] has condemned their actions, the government continues to threaten the OAS and activists who are only trying to help all the innocent lives in the country. Many activists have been threatened and thrown in jail as the government has claimed they have committed acts of terrorism. These activists and thousands of youth have not been given fair trials and those who have been released have shown up with bruises and signs of torture.

This ongoing issue has led to several Nicaraguans moving to neighboring countries in hope of safety, while others remain in the country struggling to find work and feeling unsafe each day. Regardless, the couple has refused to do anything. During these marches, they hold their own events for their supporters. Nothing has been done to bring justice to all the lives taken and for those injured.