The Problem With Being A Chronically Ill College Student
Life Stages

*Slowly watches attendance grades drop*

85
https://pixabay.com/users/jarmoluk-143740/?utm_source=link-attribution&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=image&utm_content=257349

When being sick over a weekend, a simple obtainment of a medical excuse is easy from a walk in a facility like an All Better Care. But when chronic medical problems constantly arise throughout the semester, obtaining these excuses constantly isn't as easy as a college student.

In their respect, most colleges do have accessible disability centers where students are able to notify institutions of their medical conditions, but at one point does it become grey?

The issue lies in the fact a student can't possibly pay at least $40 (that is WITH insurance) over and over again for medical visits that address repeated, ongoing issues in order for missed classes to be excused. Because of this, students who face chronic health conflicts often times find themselves with large grade deductions due to unexcused absences.

Even after filed my medical condition(s) through my available disability center, this is still something I myself face. One professor suggested I simply, "Take a medical leave" and later return to college, however, unfortunately, my heart disease isn't planning on taking a vacation anytime soon and my life plans cannot afford for me to take a break, like many students even without health problems.

Understandably, there are students who manipulate the expectations of attendance and simply will make excuses to "get off the hook", however other students with valid conditions also then are punished.

Being absent frequently from a student with a valid, documented chronic condition certainly indicates at least somewhat to education faculty how severe a medical condition can be. Even when scheduling appointments with specialists, )which is most often the case for unique health instances), almost always require at least 2-3 days, (if lucky), before the next appointment is available. If a student experiences symptoms Monday, misses class and isn't able to be seen by a professional until Friday, how are they to be excused from Monday's class?

Some courses go as far as to where even documented illnesses do not count towards being able to retake an exam, and only documented immediate family deaths make exceptions.

Although certainly a hard resolution to discover, perhaps there are methods we can find where university students with frequent medical issues can have a more transparent conversation with their professors about how they can meet the expectations of college courses while addressing their vital health conditions/concerns.