A Call To Students
Education

A Call To Students

A word of challenge and encouragement to the Christian College student.

38
A Call To Students

March 18, 201

"A Call to Students"

American society places an enormous emphasis on college, and here is nothing wrong with promoting college education. In today's fast paced world it would be foolish not to do so. Unfortunately the emphasis on college has caused American society to forget, ignore, and even ridicule the blue collar job world. This is both tragic and idiotic, but that is the subject for another essay. College is both the playing, working, and mission field that the average American high School graduate will find him or herself. As a senior it is imperative to me to demonstrate to the Christian college student just how important their education actually is. Sadly I do not believe that most of them get it. It is my sincere wish that by the end of this essay the reader will have a new appreciation for Christian education. If the reader is a student, it is my wish that they will take this essay as a call to action. There is a spiritual and intellectual battle that is currently taking place on their own campuses.

When I graduated high school I had no desire whatsoever to go to college. A significant reason was because everyone told me I should go. I was then, and currently am, notoriously cantankerous and stubborn. By God's grace and in spite of my own hard hardheadedness I enrolled in college. Now I have a bachelor's degree in Christian Studies with a minor in English. The plan at present is to continue my education at the master's level, and perhaps one day work on a doctorate. All this is in the Lord's hands. I have always enjoyed learning while simultaneously scoffing at formal education. It goes back to my being cantankerous and stubborn. I enjoyed my studies but often presented myself as an anti-intellectual and country bumpkin. For the record I am most proud to be the later. It has been during the last two semesters that have truly embraced intellectual pursuits.

A full semester class load takes a toll on any student. If one adds to that sports, a job, a social life etc. the student has the makings for a fantastic nervous breakdown. The amount of class information can be overwhelming. Thus the average student may feel the temptation to think "screw this." The student pays barely any attention in class, and studies just enough to get by. The student floats from semester to semester lamenting the so called "struggle." As if real life after college will be any easier. This attitude is immature and idiotic to say the least, but it also cheats the student of what he or she could be gaining. It is particularly disturbing when students who profess to be strong Christians treat the studies with such disregard. Sadly this is more often than not the case. College is seen as the time to goof off, waist time and make bad decisions. This thought process demonstrates the height of stupidity and has the potential for life altering situations. If this is the "average" student experience. The Christian student who is called to be salt and light should present a clear and obvious difference.

The vast majority of students may have no desire to become any sort of intellectual giant. The stereotypical professor with the tweed jacket, complete with elbow pads and glasses is more than most can bear. I must confess that I find this image terrifying myself. Take heart fellow students. It need not be this way! I have been referred to as an intellectual. Professors and others have referred to me as bright, smart, intelligent, talented etc. I do not present this list to toot my own horn but to simply communicate what has been told to me. I do not own a tweed jacket with elbow pads, though I may yet. As I write this I am wearing outdoors apparel. I have on my person two knives and a John Deere winter hat. Tell me reader, does this sound like the average intellectual or nerd to you?

If the Christian student has found him or herself in a situation where higher education is available then it should logically follow for the student to take advantage of that education. This nonsense one finds on campus of students whining and moaning about how hard school is needs to stop. Grow up children! Do the work that is expected of you, it is a God given opportunity and too often it is squandered. Whoever developed the idea that college is the time for a person to run wild, be stupid, waste their parent's money, and their own God given potential, needs to be shot with a water gun like a cat attacking the Christmas tree. As a Christian I truly believe that all people have value and potential. If you are made in the image of God, and God is perfect, then you are not a mistake. You are not worthless. You have purpose! This should excite students. This should make us want to put our noses to the grindstone for the glory of God.

I believe there is a spiritual and intellectual battle taking place on our college campuses, and I defy anyone to prove me wrong. Our students are bombarded with opposing world views. The majority of which are not compatible with scripture. Some students may find themselves in a classes where professors and students actively attack the Christian worldview. Even if this is not the case, Christian students will rub shoulders, interact, and connect with students who have different belief systems. Are we connecting with them and sharing the gospel? Are we being light in a dark world in the way we study? Are you taking advantage of a God given opportunity to develop your mind for God's glory? Please students, let us heed the call to study. Let us allow God to mold and shape our minds, that we may be equipped to do his mighty work. Your classmates need you more than you realize. Devote yourself to study as if it were a gift from Almighty God himself. I assure you it is.