Eight '90s Songs That Are Still A Guilty Pleasure

"Let's kick it!"

185
Bonner Springs Amphitheater

We all have those songs we jam to after a breakup, during a down phase, or maybe when we get the call saying we got the job. They appear on either our throwback mix or our party playlist and boy when they do, do we go absolutely wild. These are usually songs that no one can ever know we listen to because they are your guilty pleasure but when they come on in a group, the party gets a major throwback. Here are a few guilty pleasures everyone has indulgenced in a couple times: '90s baby or not.

1. "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden

Because how many times have you laid in your bed, thinking of the day that some guy would come to you and serenade you with this exact song? You know every single lyric and as a little girl you may have thought this would be your wedding song, dancing around with the boy you had a crush on in 1st grade whose name you can’t even recall now.

2. "…Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears

Let’s all face it, no matter how old you are, Britney Spears is always a guilty pleasure. Granted, 2007 wasn’t her best year, but we can agree that we all had our sassy side come out while belting out, “Hit me baby one more time!” If you were/are anything like me, you probably had a wanna-be hip hop routine you made up in your room and turned completely red when your mom came in your room and saw you.

3. "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65

I don’t care who you are, this was always the best song at a dance. You would immediately start nodding your head ridiculously and doing weird '90s hand motions and completely lose yourself in this song. You had no idea what the chorus said and at one point you probably said, “I’m blue I’m in need of guy,” instead of “I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa, da ba dee da ba daa.”

4. "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root

This song had to be one of hardest to understand songs. You might have been able to pick out a few lyrics but other than it was a bunch of Lion King sounds. But it was also an instant fave because of its relaxing yet upbeat tune. “I would like to hold my head up high,” was the most shouted part in those car trips and the next line was mumbled by many as well.

5. "Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls

You may have heard this song while watching the 1998 movie "City of Angels" or just because you are/were a huge The Goo Goo Dolls fan but either way, Iris moved you emotionally. It helped you to remember that everything would eventually be okay even if it wasn’t right then. It was also a great song to listen when you needed a slow yet powerful song to help you. And honestly, who doesn’t want people to just know who they are?

6. "Get Ready For This" by 2 Unlimited

This was a party classic! The high energy and lack of real lyrics made this a huge jam in the '90s and even today when you have the throwback mix. Who doesn’t love to just get crazy with the dance moves and party like it’s 1999?

7. "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba

You never understood the song title or the band name but the chorus was your life motto: “I get knocked down, but I get up again! You are never gonna keep me down!” and you felt like a boss when you name off the types of drinks that man consumed. No matter your mood this song could liven up even the bluest of days.

8. "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia

Torn was the song that allowed you to understand it was okay to be broken and for you let go of a man. This taught you to be a strong independent woman and you were lying naked on the ground that meant that you were still breathing.

Bonus:

9. "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice

All I’m going to say is: “Let’s kick it!”