Almost 90,000 Gallons Of Oil Spilled In The Gulf Of Mexico

Why so little coverage for SUCH a big issue?

48
Nola

At any given point, we are surrounded by hundred, if not thousands, of news updates every hour. They can range from groundbreaking stories, to minuscule, one liner headlines about what your favorite celebrity bought at the store. However, a lot of extremely important news updates go unnoticed or are hardly covered by news outlets.

Just last week, 90,000 gallons of oil spilled into the Gulf of Mexico. It was reportedly the first one to occur in 2016. Did you know about that? Because I sure didn't! Big news stations hardly covered the story or how Shell planned to counteract the spill — but we were informed, however, about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's ongoing campaign wars.

The only reason I even found out about this oil spill was because someone on my Facebook timeline shared this video.

So, why is it that the media is feeding us nonsensical news bites and not focusing on something that is literally destroying our environment?

While Shell claims that there were no injuries as a result of this spill, they are still under investigation to find out the cause of the spill.

In order to save face, Shell is also taking the necessary precautions in order to clean up the water. You can read more about that here.

As a matter of fact, even if you try to google this oil spill, only two or three articles come up. Any sites after that list articles that discuss the oil spills that happened in 2010. Not to mention, none of these sites are credible news sites such as Fox, CNN or the like.

I'm always the first one to speculate a conspiracy theory, but it is actually terrifying that there are wars, shootings, oil spills, and other disasters affecting our planet every day and we aren't even being educated on them.

What else is happening in the world that we aren't being told? The biggest news story right now is the whole debate on if trans-gendered people should use the appropriate bathroom. However, what most people don't realize is that trans-gendered human beings have been using whatever bathrooms they want long before this even became a headline. Herein lies the question: what else is going on that these news outlets are trying to hide from us, and is there government influence on the limited coverage we get for groundbreaking stories? *conspire at your own risk, but do be wary of what the media tries telling us is important or compelling.

These kinds of things have been happening since the beginning of news journalism and I fear it'll only get worse as we progress.

Oil spills are just the tip of the iceberg, but for now, it's best to acknowledge and bring to light all the things certain people in power don't want us to know.

It is so important for our future to open our eyes and see the evils of the world. Too many people are self-involved on their cell phones and their personal lives, only caring about their immediate circle.

But it's time to put a stop to our selfish behavior. It's time to fight back for those who don't have a voice. It's time to truly understand what global warming is doing to our planet, and how we only have ourselves to blame for all this destruction. It's time for us to fix the earth, instead of fixing our Instagram theme.