9 Words and Phrases I Wish Millennials Would Stop Using

Phrases like "turnt up" need to be turned off.

6198
TRG Blogs - TRG International

Words have infiltrated their way into our modern vocabulary, but these are some words that I wish would just go away.

1. "Looking Like a Snack"

No. Just no. You're not Hannibal Lector. Your significant other or "bae" is not an Edible Arrangement. I would highly suggest against "snacking" on any person because cannibalism is a crime.

2. Sorry not Sorry

I mean you just said that you weren't sorry, so why even say sorry in the first place?

Me, I prefer Joey Tribbianni's response:

No reason to pretend in the first place that you're remorseful when in all honesty, you aren't at all. I think it's just better to save the sorry for times when you truly want to express regret.

3. Swole

I don't think that a lot of people even use this right. At least when I was in high school people didn't.

I would hear other students telling each other, "You're so swole," meaning angry or excitable, but it really means muscular or buff. Why not just use jacked or ripped? Why do we even need swole? That doesn't sound tough; it sounds like someone fell down the stairs and twisted an ankle.

Ex: My ankle is so swol(len).

4. Woke

After doing some research, I found out this started with good intentions to be about being aware of discrimination, but because of misuses, I have never heard this even used that way. The number one definition of Urban Dictionary, a millennial's Websters, says it means " A state of perceived intellectual superiority one gains by reading The Huffington Post."

It's now just a pretty big joke, and that's the only way I've ever heard it. Why not just say "be aware?" Why woke?

5. Hype

Do you know what the definition of hype is? Excited. Why can't we just say excited? There are 46 synonyms for excited on Thesaurus.com. The millennial use of hype as an adjective like most of these on the list are unnecessary.

6. Turnt

Definition 1: "Like hype for a party or at the club" is one definition. Once again, what is wrong with excited? Then it could mean turnt down which means to calm down or become calm.

Definition 2: This entry says, "Means: under the influence of alcohol, wasted, gone, when some one is really drunk but still partying their face off."

It's your decision, but do you really need to invent yet another word? I guess B - for effort.

"You gotta fight for your right to party" (Beastie Boys reference anyone?), but "turnt up" is phrase that needs turned off.

What it sounds like:

7. Shook

Chances are if you're using this word, you really aren't that "shook." The word means upset or shocked. Why is upset or shocked or excited not good enough words anymore?

I would think this means shaken to your core, but really it's just over-exaggeration or insincere.

8. "Can't Even"

"Can't deal or can't handle it/you."

You can't even what? It's kind of a cop-out for not wanting to explain yourself but still express frustration. It's just trying to get people to fish out of you what's wrong.

9. Daddy

This one is just "cringe-worthy."

Do you want your boyfriend to behave in the same way as your father Or you wish your dad behaved like a romantic partner?

This is just feeding the fire to Freud's "Oedipus Complex" ideas.

Unless he really is a dad, I'd lay off using this one.

Honorable Mention: Your/You're

Not technically a saying, but another pet peeve of mine that I see many millennials using is the misuse of "you're" and "your"

Ex: "Your dumb." My dumb what? (Your is a possessive, meaning belonging to you.)

"You're mom..." You are mom (?) (You're is you are. Ie: You are beautiful)

In Conclusion:

According to my friend Sarah, this is how millennial slang is born:

"How to make a trendy new saying:

1). Take a Regular Word

2). Desecrate all Grammatical Rules

Result: 'I'm shook.'"