9 Ways to Make the Most of Halloween if you don't like Scary Things

If you hate all things spooky, there's still ways you can enjoy Halloween, minus all of the fright.

155
Photo by Beth Teutschmann on Unsplash

After a weekend of waiting in line for a haunted house, spending $10 on a ticket for the haunted house, and then only getting a little more than halfway through the haunted house before having to leave, I thought to myself, "there has to be other things to do around this time of year to make me hate Halloween less." So if you hate scary things like me, and are sick of wasting your money on these pointless excursions that you know you're going to chicken out of anyways, here are 9 things you might enjoy doing instead.

1. Apple and Pumpkin Picking

Whether it be in the backyard of your friend who loves to garden or even a local farm, there's nothing more fallish than picking some apples to enjoy as a snack, in pie form, or even with caramel if you're feeling fancy. Some of the best photo ops with your friends can take place in a pumpkin patch, all while you get to have fun choosing that perfect pumpkin that caught your eye.

2. Fall Fairs and Festivals

There's nothing like the smell of fried food, impossible carnival games, rusty rides, and the occasional music coming from a band or two while being surrounded by your family and best friends. While you might find yourself blowing your money on things that probably won't last too long, just think of all the fun memories that you could be making that will last a lifetime.

3. Taking advantage of all things PUMPKIN!!!

Fall is the time for pumpkin flavored everything in restaurants and stores and it usually only lasts for the season. Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin pie M&M's, pumpkin spice cookies, pumpkin pancakes and waffles, pumpkin beer, pumpkin cream cheese, pumpkin roll, pumpkin spice cereals, pumpkin spice marshmallows, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin spice oreos, pumpkin pie, and plenty more. Don't think, just PUMPKIN.

4. Making and Baking fall treats

This is the perfect time of the year to perfect your Gramma's pumpkin pie recipe in anticipation for Thanksgiving, or even look up new ways to make old recipes from before more vegan-friendly or gluten free to accommodate more of your friends and family (hint hint, ME). There are also so many fun recipes online that are Halloween themed that you can try out to make this year's get together extra festive.

5. Update your Wardrobe

Fall is one of the best times for FASHION. As the summer temperatures dwindle away and the air starts to get cooler, it's the perfect time to use that extra money you have saved up from your Summer job to go get some outfits that will keep you warm but also show off your own personal Fall flare.

6. Carving Pumpkins

This activity is a little messier but once you get past all of the entrails and goo of the inside of a pumpkin, you'll find that personalizing your pumpkin can actually be quite fun. If you really have problems with making a mess, then go out and get some acrylic paints to decorate your pumpkin so you don't have to miss out on the fun.

7. Jumping in Leaves

My whole life I thought this was the stupidest thing ever but one day my dad made me rake up the crispy leaves from the backyard all into one pile. After a while of just staring at my tall mountain of leaves that I worked so hard to rake up, I finally decided I couldn't resist anymore and I jumped right in. In concept, it still is a stupid thing to do, but you have to try it at least once in your life to get the full fall experience.

8. Watching Halloween Movies

While I'm really afraid of scary movies, I use this to my advantage around Halloween time to revisit my childhood. You can never go wrong with watching kids movies like Halloweentown, Casper the friendly ghost, Hocus Pocus, and if you're feeling really adventurous, Monster House. SPOOKY, I know!!

9. Nature Walks

We all get that summertime sadness sometimes when thinking back to all of the fun outdoorsy things we did, but it's not too late to revisit some of those places around Halloween time. Fall is the perfect time to go to those hiking paths and nature trails right before Winter hits and the idea of going for a walk outside becomes unimaginable. Get up early, wear a hoodie, and bring a friend or two on a nature path before that warmer weather leaves until Spring. *An added bonus to a fall nature walk is the difference in scenery from the summertime due to the changing colors of the leaves!* Nature is awesome, so take the time to cease this opportunity while you can.