When In London, Use These 9 Tips For Surviving The Big City
Travel

When In London, Use These 9 Tips For surviving The Big City

They have a perfected system to ensure that everything is moving as smoothly and seamlessly as humanly possible.

89
Unsplash

Like any other big, metropolitan, city London is an enormous 2,000-piece puzzle and at most, I've completed the edges. But although I have not yet completely mastered the Londoner lifestyle, I like to believe that it didn't take me too long to get a hang of the ins and outs of the city. A few days on my own, with nothing but my intuition and a non-existent data plan to rely on to get me through was enough to learn the ropes – mostly because I didn't have any other choice.

I've found that I'm a quick learner when there's a lot at stake.

1. Even If You're Early, You're Still Late

Everything moves so much faster – the people, the transport, time even feels like it's jumping forward. Mostly because in a city as large as this one, someone is always late to somewhere. The steps are almost always taken two at a time and standing on the escalator is a privilege. There's no such thing as a leisurely walk to work in morning, everything is a brisk speed walk. And that panic tends to spread like wildfire, even if you made sure to leave your apartment an hour early so you have to sit in the nearest Starbucks until 9:30 because you practically jogged to work.

2. Look Both Ways Before Crossing the Street … Then Double Check

In America they're driving on the wrong side of the road, but in England you're the one making the wrong turns. One too many times I've found myself almost stepped out in front of a bus because I was checking the wrong way. After a few dozen angry honks from angry commuters' you start to make a mental note.

3. There's Not Enough Room On the Tube to Be Shy

Most mornings, waiting for the next train isn't an option. Those 6 minutes between trains can make the difference between being on time to work and being late, so you can imagine the determination there is to make it through the doors the first time. This usually leads mildly uncomfortable encounters with total strangers as you try to pretend that it's completely normal for you to be that close.

4. Dress for Every Season

This requires a level of skill that I have not yet acquired. Finding the perfect outfit can be an impossible task when the mornings call for coats, the afternoons call for tank tops and your evenings are lost somewhere in between. It's all about perfecting the layered look, but no matter how hard you try, you'll never look make it look as effortless as the London natives.

5. It's Important to Take Time for Yourself

When things are so hectic, it's hard to remember that you don't need to take everything as quickly as it comes. It's easy to believe that every day needs to be jam packed with activities in order to make the most of your experience. Although it's true, you should want to explore, it's also important to take personal days where you schedule the whole day to sit in a park and read or walk through a museum alone. The city is very fast paced, but that doesn't mean you should miss the moments around you trying to keep up.

6. Stand On the Right Side of Everything

The cool thing about London is that they've taken the standard for efficiency and jacked it up so much higher. They have a perfected system to ensure that everything is moving as smoothly and seamlessly as humanly possible. This means making sure you're aware of your surroundings and ensuring that you're not disrupting that. Stand on the right side of the escalator, the left is for those who want to walk up and if you find yourself on the wrong side, it'll be the most passive aggressive 'excuse me' you've ever heard.

7. Tube Etiquette Is Very Real

There are do's and don'ts of being on the underground and breaking these unspoken rules will have you shunned like a leper by everyone else in the car with you. British people are too polite to say anything, but don't be so loud. The cars are small, and cramped and jammed with people either on their way to work or coming home from work and the last thing they want to hear is a group of people being obnoxious. Always have an eye out for who's standing, if it's a disabled person, an elderly person, or a pregnant woman move. They won't always ask you, it's up to you to be aware.

8. Know Where You Are Before Going

Have a healthy understanding of where you're going to be and how to get home before leaving the house. The first mistake you can every make is thinking that you can just figure it out from there – news flash: you can't. Pull up any GPS mapping app you use (pro tip: CityMapper saves lives) and even if you don't have a phone plan, screenshot the steps to get home from your desired location. It'll make the whole process just a little easier.

9. Fake It Until You Make It

Getting lost is almost a given when you live in a city as big as London. The underground is a system of organized chaos and if you're not careful, you'll find yourself standing there dazed, confused and incredibly overwhelmed. And it only gets worse if you don't keep moving – people will move out of the way for someone they think knows was they're doing but walk right over someone who doesn't. The key is to be confident, even when you're not. If you're lost underground, walk confidently towards what you think is the exit. If you're in the street and you find yourself feeling the same way, try to walk as confidently as you can towards somewhere where you're not disrupting the flow of people (and hopefully has Wi-Fi).