9 Things I Never Considered Before Moving To MA

And everything you likely should, too.

205

And everything you likely should, too.

Really Really Bad Roads

I hail from central New Hampshire, about an hour from the state border, and each time I drive to Massachusetts, I know distinctly when we cross the border. Not because of the run-down "Massachusetts Welcomes You!" sign on the side of the road, but because my 2006 Mini Cooper nearly loses its suspension each time I drive into the southern state. And while it seems particularly bad on Interstate 93, where the states divide, the road conditions never seem to improve, no matter how deep into the state you drive.

Really Really Bad Drivers

I can understand people who drive like drunken sailors on Mass. roads because most of the time, they're just avoiding potholes and frost heaves that were never properly fixed. However, the clear and distinct use of a directional is what sets NH and MA drivers far apart. In Massachusetts, it's lovingly called "the blinkah." And yet, the blinkah is seldom seen on Mass. major roadways, and instead, cars simply weave in and around each other like fish, and you're never quite sure where they're headed.

People Buy Ice Water at Dunkin Donuts

Okay, I know not everyone drinks coffee, or tea, or is a huge fan of Dunkin's coolattas. BUT, I have never seen so many Dunkin branded cups filled only with water and ice than I have since I moved to Mass. It does not make sense to me. Are you paying for ice water? Do you not carry a water bottle around with you? Is your home water not sufficient? I do not understand.

Sales Taxes

I know not every state in America is blessed with the lack of sales tax like New Hampshire, but I was woefully unprepared for the tax in Massachusetts. I don't know if Mass. has higher taxes than the rest of the country, or if I am experiencing heavy culture shock, but the change was staggering.

Traffic At Every Hour of The Day

Even with the breakdown lanes opening at heavy traffic hours, I still struggle with traffic at nearly every point in the day.

The Weather Can't Make Up Its Mind

Since being in college, it has become a known fact that it rains every Tuesday. I believe this is the universe punishing me for having three classes on Tuesdays. However, it seems as soon as my classes end, each and every Tuesday ends with blue skies and a painted sunset.

Constant Air Traffic

This could be because I live outside of Boston or close to the highways, but air traffic has become a sort of white noise constant to me. Whether it be helicopter surveying traffic flow, or planes taking off from Logan Airport, there is always something in the sky above you in Mass.

Food That's Better Than Home (Sorry, Mom)

Okay, I'll admit, it's not all bad living in Massachusetts. Once you get into the small towns or city alleys, the restaurants get better and better. Whether it be Italian joints in the North End of Boston or small family-style places in the heart of Mass., there's never a shortage of quality food.

The People

Yes, they'll beep at you for sitting at a green light a second too long, and they'll keep their heads down if you're handing out fliers, but the people of Massachusetts have good hearts. They're passionate about their sports teams (Go Pats!), about their cities, about their heritage, and about their state.