9 Reasons The First Day Of Class, No Matter The Semester, Is The Actual Worst

How come doing nothing and actually learning on the first day of class are equally annoying?

338

You know the drill. Soon after the champagne from New Years stops flowing, it's time to get back into school mode for Spring semester. For high schoolers, it's time to stress about who's going to be in your classes, hoping you'll have friends to partner up with.

When you're in college, it's time to shell out thousands of dollars and pray you don't screw up your GPA or have to struggle through an 8 AM. More than just these things are why the first day is always the worst of the semester. Here's a list to remind you of all your suffering:

1. Waking Up Early

The first day of class always means you're coming off a break. Whether it's summer or winter break, you surely spent much of it sleeping in. You can kiss those days goodbye!

2. Walking Into Class For The First Time

Just imagining this gives me anxiety. I don't know what's worse, when the class is totally silent and awkward, or when everyone's chatty and you realize most everyone else in the class has friends in there already except for you. Or, secretly, wondering if you're even in the right classroom for the first 15 minutes or so. *shudder*

3. Class Introductions

Not only are you sleepy and uncomfortable, now you've got to introduce yourself to the class.

4. Having The Lamest "Interesting" Fact

Teachers often make you introduce yourself, but only truly evil ones (this isn't sarcasm) will make you include an interesting fact. WHY oh why is it that everyone else's always seems to be 10x better than your own?!

5. Wondering "Why am I here?"

Going over the syllabus, really? Why can't we just read it ourselves? AND you didn't take attendance? I knew I should have just skipped.

6. Even Worse.... Starting A Lesson

Funny how doing nothing and actually starting to learn on the first day are equally annoying. Dear teachers, why not switch it up and throw a pizza party or something? Guaranteed to be your students' all-time favorite first day!

7. Looking At All The Books You Must Buy

Seriously, how can one class possibly require 5 different books?

8. Policies, Tests, And Grades, Oh My!

Only 2 unexcused absences for a MWF class?! No extra credit? A 92% is a B??! A cumulative final worth 60% of our grade?!?!

9. Remembering This Is Only Day One

Oh right, you actually have to keep coming back to this class for an entire semester. This wasn't just a one time thing.

Don't worry though. It always gets better!