​9 Reasons Why College Has Taught Me More About Life Outside Of The Classroom Than In It

College major: Life Expert.
Livia
Livia
483

I am sitting here trying to mentally prepare myself for the upcoming semester of school and doing some self-reflecting. I have three semesters left of my undergrad and can still vividly remember graduating high school like it was yesterday.

To say the time has flown by would be an understatement. Some days I want time to go even faster and cannot wait to have a "big girl" job, but then other days it scares the crap out of me that my days of being a kid in college are numbered. At the beginning of this journey, I was under the impression I was attending college in order to become a super knowledgeable businesswoman.

I have came to the conclusion that I may be able to calculate a return on investment and understand an income statement, but still have a lot to learn in the business world- which I am not stressing about, it will come with experience. Instead of saying I am majoring in Marketing, I look at it more like I'm majoring in life.

At the end of the day, that's really been what college has taught me, not the grades I received on tests and assignments, but how to navigate through life and experiences. Here are nine reasons why college has taught me more about life outside of the classroom, than in it.

1. Friends aren't forever

Chances are you are not friends with every person you began college with. Everyone is changing and figuring themselves out during this time, and people's true colors shine through during these years- and that's okay! Go out and meet people and be at peace with cutting ties for the ones that aren't good for you.

2. Take your expectations down a notch

Everything in life isn't going to be as perfect as you think it will be in your head. High expectations only lead to disappointments, be realistic about your views and stay positive whenever you can. It's okay if your freshman roomie and you don't turn out as BFFs, straight A's in college- probably not going to happen, the glorious college life that you may see on Instagram, it's not real. Stay positive and have realistic expectations people!

3. Love and appreciate your parents

Be honest with yourself, you were probably a brat to your parents in high school, but suddenly you go to college and you realize you're calling your mom every seven minutes and you actually miss them! College has made me love and appreciate my parents in a way I couldn't see in high school. Everything they ever did for me became so much more apparent and my relationship with both of them now is something I wouldn't trade for the world.

4. Take full advantage of nap opportunities

College students are always tired, I know that first hand. However, this is the last time in my life that I will be able to squeeze in a quick nap between classes. After graduation, there is no room for a nap in a nine to five job, unfortunately. Catch the Zs while you can!

5. Connections are everything

I have learned that it doesn't matter what degree you have and where you went to school if you don't know anyone. Politics are a real thing and making relationships and connections with people and businesses will take you much farther than nobody knowing who you are post-graduation. It may not seem fair, but its the harsh reality of life.

6. Try jeans on once in a while

The freshmen fifteen is real and pizza and fast food catches up with you quickly. I remember my cousin wrote a couple tips in my high school graduation card and I really should have listened to her advice that yoga pants and leggings aren't real pants- your jeans won't lie to you. Basically, I'm saying that college has taught me my metabolism is not as great as it was in high school and the days of eating ice cream for breakfast are over.

7. A boy is going to break your heart

At some point during every girl's college career, a boy will probably break their heart and their world will seem like its over. The worst is behind you and the great thing about being a young woman is that the world is ahead of you and the best is yet to come. College teaches you to pick your head up, realize you don't need anyone to be yourself and there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

8. Girl time is everything

There is no other time in your life you will be under the same roof with your girl friends. Guys are great and all but appreciate your girl time filled with getting ready together, gossip, wine nights, late night ice cream runs, and the good, the bad and the ugly. I have realized I can't get that time back!

9. You won't graduate a genius in your major

Like I said before, this has been the hardest concept for me to grasp- that college has not been for learning everything there is about business, yet how to experience life, deal with people, respond to different situations, live on my own, and become a better, well-rounded person.

This college experience so far has taught me more about life than anything in a book could teach and I am ready to soak up and enjoy the rest of the time I have left.