Yes, I'm A Girl, Yes, I'm In A Fraternity. I'll Answer Your Questions Now

What I've been asked as a girl in a fraternity.

61888
Jamie Fortin

I am involved in the professional business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi, and every day people are completely confused with what that entails. For some background: Delta Sigma Pi is a professional fraternity, established in 1907, created for students at universities in business and commerce. We have 293 collegiate and 54 alumni chapters; it is an incredible network of hard working business experts! But along with the title "Fraternity," we all call each other "brother" and have adapted a lot of traditional fraternity and sorority traditions. Here are some of the biggest questions and answers I get as a member of this unique organization!

1. Don't you mean a sorority?

No, I am not in a sorority, and never have been. I am a part of a co-ed fraternity. Yes, it really is a FRATERNITY.

2. If you're a girl in a fraternity, how does that even work?

Although this fraternity was originally established as a male-only organization, Delta Sigma Pi has been open for female membership for many years. At Baylor, our pledge classes are typically a pretty even mix of male and female!

As a side note, almost all Greek organizations are considered "fraternities," even ones that only have females. A fraternity is simply "the state or feeling of friendship and mutual support within a group."

3. So if you're in a fraternity, are you hazed?

Absolutely not. The pledging process is a unique one. We have a several week process in which we learn about the fraternity and its members, and after initiation, we are full members! It's that simple. No hazing, no "rush week."

4. Can your big/little be a guy?

Your big is the person who is most compatible with you, who can best introduce you into the fraternity. This means that it could be anyone! Personally, my family is all girls, and we like to keep it female because we make cute baskets, have gifts that are unique to my family, and overall love the bond that we all share!

5. How does Greek housing work?

The short answer: we don't have housing specifically for our fraternity. Professional fraternities are focused on building professional skills and relationships, not for hosting parties and social events. Even though we love our social activities every year, they are not the main focus of the fraternity.

6. So what makes a professional fraternity just that?

We have professional events! From CEOs to small business owners, Delta Sigma Pi is known for having working professionals come speak to the fraternity in order to build our professional skills and contacts.

7. Is the social aspect awkward?

Of course not! Anything but. Delta Sigma Pi gives you brothers who you share some of your best college memories with. Though single gender, social fraternities give you the advantage of having a lot of people who share your interests and abilities, Delta Sigma Pi gives you the advantage of meeting people from all different walks of life, male and female. My brothers are some of my best friends and I don't know what I would do without them.

8. So what does it have to offer me?

Aside from key business relationships and professional speakers, Delta Sigma Pi is a brotherhood that gives countless opportunities during college and as alumni. We have community service events, social activities, and plenty of ways to be a leader. Additionally, having a group of students that are all taking the same classes as you is super helpful! Overall, being a Deltasig opens up a lot of doors socially and professionally.

9. How do I join?

Glad you asked! To join at Baylor University, click here. To learn more about the fraternity on the national level and see if there is a chapter at your college, click here.