9 Photos That Will Make Chamonix, France Your Next Vacation

Alps, Mulled Wine and Croissants, Oh My!
32

Cover Image Credit: Brandi Harmon

5 Reasons Why I Love Being The Same Height As My Boyfriend

Height is just a number after all.
39147

I think it's safe to say that most girls' dream guy is someone taller than them. Our society has idealized the "perfect couple" as a short girl and a tall guy. It often makes couples who don't fit this standard feel their relationship is inadequate or unacceptable, but this certainly isn't the case. Just like any other physical feature, height shouldn't determine who we decide to date or become friends with.

I am a 5-foot-5-inch girl who is dating a 5-foot-4-inch boy. From personal experience, I can tell you that having a boyfriend (or girlfriend) your same height has so many benefits that typically aren't highlighted in mainstream media.

1. No uncomfortable neck-craning kisses.

Let's be honest -- photos of girls standing on their tippy-toes and boys bending down to kiss may be cute for Tumblr purposes, but who really wants to hold that uncomfortable pose forever? Being close in height means our lips are also about the same height, which is great for comfortable and accessible kissies and hugs every time.

2. No one feels looked down upon.

Whether it's a normal conversation (or an argument), our height creates a more even playing field. No one person towers over the other, making us feel like equals, as well as making it easy to maintain eye-contact.

3. Selfies are easy.

No matter where we are standing, it's quick and easy for both of our faces to fit in the frame. If your man is way taller than you, it can be awkward to get that Instagram-worthy selfie easily. However, no worrying about how to get the perfect angle in my relationship -- it comes easily.

4. Hand-holding feels natural.

Similar to accessible kisses, holding hands is easy because they are already at the same height. Neither one has to bend their arm nor reach up, so it's convenient and completely comfortable.

5. We both understand how truly unimportant height is in a relationship.

At the end of the day, we both know that what makes a relationship isn't the ease of hand-holding, talking, kissing, or selfie-taking. Although we are about the same height and acknowledge the often over-looked benefits, I wouldn't feel any less of a connection if he was two inches shorter and I was two inches taller. Relationships, no matter what kind or who with, are about so much more than height. In a society that values looks so much, it's essential that we all remember love comes in all shapes, sizes, colors, and genders -- don't let the media fool you into believing love is confined solely to "tall boy + short girl = cute couple." Maybe it's time for our society to rewrite the equation.