9 Of The Most Important Lessons I've Learned From CW's "The Flash"

What a Tuesday night superhero series taught me about life.

528
Tech Times

As season 2 of The CW's show series, The Flash, comes to an end, it would be completely accurate to say that there were many lessons portrayed and learned throughout the two seasons. Since we were small children, many of us looked up to different superheroes such as Super Man, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Captain America, The Flash, etc., and we knew them all from comics and the movies in which they played in. We always wanted to be like them because of their supernatural powers and their ability to save thousands of innocent lives, heroically. For me, The Flash became a huge inspiration in my life because of the many teachings that came along with the story, and here are some of them:

1. Your true friends will always be there for you through anything and everything.

Whether it's 10 true friends or 2 true friends, at the end of the day, the true ones will always have your back. In seasons 1 and 2 of The Flash, Dr. Caitlin Snow, Cisco, Iris, and Joe were always there for Barry Allen, otherwise known as the Flash. Whether it was making his suit, saving his life, taking him in when his mother died and his father was arrested, or guiding him when he is fighting crime, they have always been there, and they give him the power, motivation, and courage to do what he as meant to do; save the city which holds his heart and take meta humans off the streets.

2. Your family is not limited to blood.

For a big portion of my life, I always thought your family could only be the ones who share the same blood and genetic makeup as you do. I was so wrong. Family could also be the people who are not blood-related, but are just as close as blood-related family members; the people who would go to the ends of the earth for you. In the Flash, after Barry's mother died and his father was arrested, Joe and Iris took Barry in with open arms and raised him into the man he is today. That's true family.

3. Even in the worst of situations, humor is the light in the dark time.

For anyone who watches The Flash, you know that Cisco is so unintentionally funny. But especially in the worst of situations, he brings light to it with his humor. For example, the whole show is basically about Barry Allen or the Flash saving people heroically and about Barry's speed, but even though it is the most important aspect of the show, Cisco makes jokes such as "the average number of bugs Barry swallows in a day of running." HA. Oh, Cisco.

4. No matter what gets in your way, you have to put your all into it.

The Flash faces A LOT of different obstacles while trying to save Central City and the rest of the world. He faces roadblocks such as metahumans, back-stabbing scientists who he thought was on his side, his family and friends being concerned about his safety, and so much more. No matter what, Barry maintains an attitude where he believes he can do anything if he sets his mind to it and that he is going to get through everything no matter what. Even if saving the world means taking his own life, he is willing to do it. That is putting your all into it.

5. As awesome and heroic as you are, sometimes you require a little help.

If you watch The Flash, you know how awesome and powerful the Flash actually is. His speed gets him through anything, whether it is him running great distances and speeds, phasing in and out of confinements, using science to save innocent lives. Whatever it is, it's pretty awesome. As amazing as he is, sometimes he needs a little help, too. We see this when he asks his friends Dr. Snow, Cisco, Joe, Iris, and even other heroes from other shows for help. Some of the other heroes he brings over to The Flash are Arrow, or Superwoman.

6. In the end, everything will be okay.

When I think of this lesson, I think of the exact few episodes where The Flash loses his powers, and he can't help but feel feelings of complete loss, despair, and loneliness; especially because he lost his powers to Zoom, who is one of the villains in The Flash. After searching for his powers again, he finds them but also gets to speak to his mother who was killed by the reverse flash when he was younger. In this instance, he gets back his powers and even more; everything turned out okay for him.

7. True love never dies.

Throughout the whole 2 seasons of The Flash, so far, Barry has had a burning love for Iris, the girl that he grew up with his whole life. He tries to tell her this many times throughout the series, but she denies her feelings for him each time. Time and time after this, Barry has had to see Iris date another man, he has had to deal with her leading him on, and he has to see her everywhere, all day, and every day. He decides to try and move on by dating other women, but to him, nothing will ever compare to the love he has for Iris. Toward the end of season 2, Iris finds that she has loved Barry this whole time, and after everything, Barry retreats back to Iris. During this time, Barry had just gotten his powers back and lost his father to Zoom, and he needs a little time to himself. Iris accepts this and is willing to wait for him because they both feel true love for each other.

8. Never trust anyone to your fullest amounts.

In The Flash, there were many times characters pulled a 180 and became people who they were not. For example, in season 1, the audience found that Dr. Harrison Wells was not who he really said he was; he was the reverse flash. Dr. Snow, Cisco, and Barry put all of their trust in him, and he turned out to be the man who killed Barry's mother. Also, Jay Garrick was another character who proved to someone they said they were not. He had everyone fooled to think that he was The Flash from another universe and that he was on their team to help stop Zoom, when he really was Zoom himself. Caitlin fell in love with him, and everyone became his friend until he showed his true colors.

9. Believe fondly in everything that you do.

No matter what doubts you have, go into everything thinking that you can do it. Barry was not always sure that he could do everything he was expected to do, but he believed in himself through everything and anything, no matter what was thrown his way. The Flash taught me to believe in the impossible.