9 Inspiring Documentaries To Watch On Netflix Right Now

Instead of watching the same show again, why not watch something new and nature themed?

558
Jenna McLoughlin

Personally, I can't pick a favorite, so I'm giving you my top nine documentaries. Each series is unique and inspiring and perfect for any movie night, rainy day or lazy Sunday afternoon. You can find them all on Netflix!

1. "Planet Earth"

This documentary is not only incredibly informative, but it's visually stunning. Each episode focuses on different regions around the world, following native animals in their environment. Their filming teams can spend years gathering footage for this series, and David Attenborough is the perfect narrator to follow their stories. Be sure to check out "Planet Earth 2" when you finish with this one.

2. "The Endless Summer"

This 1966 documentary is the perfect taste of summer: sun, surf and sand. The plot follows two surfers as they travel the globe in search for the most impeccable crest — the perfect wave. Watching this film will immediately awaken the lifelong dream of being a beach bum you never knew you had.

3. "Cosmos"

Have you ever laid out under the stars, watched a meteor shower or questioned your place in the universe? Never fear, Neil deGrasse Tyson has the answers to those thoughts and more in this space documentary series. Each episode offers perspective, showcasing achievements in scientific technology and further helping us to understand the universe. It's a truly fascinating series, but watch it slowly because there's just one season available.

4. "Wild China"

This is one of my favorite animal-themed documentaries. The series explores the cultures and species unique to China and Tibet. Episodes are themed by regions and follow the stories of fisherman, golden snub-nosed monkeys and Buddhist monks. Beautifully shot, the series is a wonderful example of the coexistence between man and nature.

5. "Tracks"

This is the kind of movie that makes you crave adventure. A young Robyn Davidson decides to take a walk — 1,700 miles to be exact — across the Australian desert to the ocean. Davidson acquires three camels from a camel rancher before setting off into the outback, accompanied by her wit, her dog Diggidy and a rather pesky photojournalist hellbent on exposing her solo adventure to the world.

6. "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown"

Follow the famous chef turned adventurer Anthony Bourdain on his trips around the world. In this particularly series, Bourdain explores places most tourists never see, eating authentic cuisine, speaking to locals and learning their culture. This documentary can take you from the nocturnal city of Tokyo to the tropical island of Madagascar — all within the limits of your living room.

7. "The Blue Planet"

Another favorite, this BBC series, similar to "Planet Earth," focuses on life under the water. Be sure to watch the episode focusing on frozen seas and the depths of the ocean to discover animals (like the vampire squid)! The quality of the documentary's underwater footage is unmatched, earning two Emmys, so take time to appreciate the work while you learn about Nemo!

8. "Food Inc."

Do not eat anything while watching this, and have tissues handy. This documentary touches on serious issues in the meat industry, focusing on bacterial outbreaks, animal abuse and environmental impacts. After watching this, it exposed a young middle school me to the reality of eating meat, and I became a vegetarian. This is not a cushy documentary, but it is incredibly important.

9. "Frozen Planet"

Tied to the BBC's documentary series "Planet Earth," this documentary focuses on life in the frozen regions of the world. Follow stories of polar bear families, arctic foxes and penguins throughout the changing seasons. This beautiful (and terrific) series is narrated by the wonderful David Attenborough and is a must watch for anyone who's favorite season is winter.