9 Hidden Gems in Eastern Kenutcky

9 Hidden Gems in Eastern Kenutcky

All the restaurants you have to try in Eastern Kentucky

64
9 Hidden Gems in Eastern Kenutcky

Living in Eastern Kentucky all of my life, I have learned a few of the best places to eat around here. We don't really have a lot to do, which may be why we know where all the good restaurants are located. Here are a few places that I would definitely recommend making a trip to, even if it’s just to say you’ve been there.

1. Fat Patty’s

Located in downtown Ashland, Fat Patty’s is a local sensation. They offer many attractions such as pub burgers and huge burgers, all of which are served with a pickle and potato chips. The atmosphere at Fat Patty’s is really causal. I personally recommend the “Fat Patty” burger, which is probably as big as your head. If you're in the mood for a real burger, and not one of those fake ones from McDonalds, I would definitely recommend Fat Patty's.

2. Lizzie B’s

Located in Prestonsburg, Lizzie B’s is the actual definition of a hipster restaurant. There are occasionally live bands and the walls are filled with surfboards and imported beer bottles. This restaurant is known for their creative sandwiches, their impressive selection of alcohols (if you’re of age), and their atmosphere. If you're ever in the area I would definitely recommend checking out their cactus chili, it's the perfect combination of spicy and sweet.

3. Hobert’s

Located in Prestonsburg as well, Hobert’s has always been a favorite of mine. Hobert’s offers a variety of menu options such as baked spaghetti, pizza, and submarines. Their submarines are actually to die for! Although the ownership has been passed around a few times, they still offer their classic foods.

4. Pop’s

Located in Farmers, a couple of miles out of Morehead, Pop’s is a local favorite. They offer many classic barbecue foods. It’s the perfect food for dinner after a long day at Cave Run Beach. Don’t forget to get a cone of superman ice cream for the road.

5. Kuntry Fixins’

Located in West Liberty, Kuntry Fixins’ offers so many different foods. Anything that you want from meatloaf to pizza to fried chicken, they have. The restaurant features both take out and buffet. This place is the actual definition of good home cooked food.

6. Dee’s

Located in Louisa, Dee’s is a little hole in the wall restaurant that serves many wonderful foods. My personal favorite are their hotdogs, because they’re actual pork hotdogs, which is hard to find these days. You have to try their famous homemade chili sauce, and a trip to Dee’s wouldn’t be complete without getting one their thick and creamy milkshakes.

7. Dairy Cheer

Located in Prestonsburg, Dairy Cheer is comparable to Dee’s. When I was back home, I was a regular there. Their fried banana peppers are the actual definition of perfection. They offer an array of foods and most of them have to be deep fried. You can’t leave without trying one of their hand-scooped ice cream cones, or a milkshake.

8. Fuzzy Duck

Located in Morehead, Fuzzy Duck is a coffee shop and bookstore that caters to many college students. FD offers many Panini’s, soups, and salads. After eating, you’ll need to refresh by ordering one of their many tasty drinks, such as the Moka Jo or a fruit smoothie. Be sure to visit the bookstore in the back after you’re done eating!

9. Miguel’s Pizza

Located in Natural Bridge, Miguel's makes one of the best pizzas that I have ever eaten. You get a piece of paper to write your order on, the choice of eating inside or outside, and it’s a super chill vibe. Paintings fill the walls, and their classic logo is plastered in every direction. It’s the perfect lunch to eat right before heading up to Natural Bridge. I would definitely give this place a try if you’re in the area.

If you’re ever in one of these towns or nearby, you have to stop in and try them, they really are the best. Most of the restaurants are little holes in the walls that have been passed down from generation to generation, and they need our support. Shop local! Thanks for reading!