9 Of My Healthy And Cheap Grocery Staples I Buy As A College Student

Healthy, easy, and cheap staples that I cannot go without

25761

​​My Grocery Runs

Grocery store runs are the highlight of my week, believe it or not. I love browsing the aisles in search of something new to cook up or something out of the ordinary.

Though I would love to spend hundreds of dollars per week on food, enough to eat every second of every day, my wallet cannot afford that and neither can my digestive tract. I like to keep my weekly grocery budget around $30-$40, depending on what essentials I need to restock.

This way, I am buying enough food to get me through the week without having leftovers which I end up wasting.

In addition, I love having some sort of sameness in my life when everything else seems to be changing and flipping upside down. I always eat the same breakfast of oatmeal with fruit, and a protein bar for lunch.

This won't work for those who seek thrill in their cuisine, but it works for my lazy, busy, and time-sensitive life.

These items are always on my grocery list, without fail.

1. Old-Fashioned Oats

Old-fashioned oats are a versatile staple that I keep in my pantry, but I really only use them for making oatmeal in the morning. 1/2 cup of oats gets you 150 calories of filling energy, and can be paired with all kinds of fruits and spices. I buy the $2 Kroger Brand Old-Fashioned Oats, and they get the job done!

2. Dried Fruit

Dried fruit is a great snack during the day, and also works well in oatmeal. Grab a handful before class, chomp on some while watching Netflix, or take them on the trail with you when going for a hike!

Be mindful that dried fruit often has added sugar, so consume in moderation.

I really enjoy the Mission Sun-dried Figs from Kroger.

3. Grapes

Free Stock Photo

Grapes are one of my favorite fruits, and they always seem to be on sale. I put these in my oatmeal, eat them as a dessert, or just snack on them while doing some homework.

Grapes come in a ton of varieties, colors, shapes, and sizes. One of my personal favorites are the Grapery Moondrop Grapes from Kroger. These are some funny-looking ones, but they are the perfect snack!

4. Natural Peanut Butter

If I had to eat only one food for the rest of my life, it would most definitely be peanut butter. I put it in my oatmeal every morning, I eat it with apples, and occasionally by the spoonful.

I prefer Smucker's natural Peanut Butter because it has more peanut oil in it, which makes spreading and splattering over my carbs easier. Natural peanut butter also provides healthy fats and minimal sugar.

5. Honeycrisp Apples

Honeycrisp apples can be eaten in so many different ways, but I like making apple spice oatmeal or eating slices with peanut butter and honey. Lately, I have been eating them as a dessert and I'm not even ashamed to admit that.

These particular apples are one of the sweetest varieties, and I cannot help but make them a staple during our Michigan fall season.

6. Raspberries

I used to be a strawberry type of gal, but I have to admit that raspberries have taken the lead in my race of favorite fruits. I smash about 1/4 cup into a jam, then put it into my oatmeal every morning.

I only eat them in my oatmeal, as they are too expensive to eat all in one day (though I would like to).

7. KIND Bars, Larabars, and GoMacro Bars

Flickr

As I mentioned before, protein bars are usually my mid-day meal. If I am not having a protein-rich dinner, I usually go for a GoMacro Bar, which have 10 grams of protein and are plant-based.

These go for about $2 each at the store, but they are by far my favorite bar and are totally worth the price tag.

If dinner on that night is high in protein, I usually go for a KIND or Banana Chocolate Chip Larabar, as they have less protein but are both delicious and plant-based.

8. Hummus

To be frank, hummus is life. It keeps in the fridge forever, it comes in a ton of different flavors, and it is relatively cheap. I love dipping mini sweet peppers, snap peas, and carrots in it just to name a few things.

Sometimes I even use it for dinners when I make Tabbouleh wraps. Lately, I have been a big fan of Simple Truth Garlic Hummus, but really any hummus is to die for.

9. Mini Sweet Peppers

Flickr

I think mini sweet peppers are my favorite vegetable. I mean come on, they're MINI, meaning they are automatically the cutest things on Earth. As I said, I dip these in hummus but sometimes I'll get a little adventurous and put them in a soup or something.

I'd like to reiterate that though I purchase these exact groceries every week, not everyone can stand the same exact foods over and over again. I encourage you to explore, find the foods that you enjoy eating and that make you feel good, and stick to them.

This way, you'll save money and won't have to lose sleep about what you will be eating for breakfast in 5 hours.