9 Best Lyrics From Chance The Rapper's Coloring Book

Best lyrics on Coloring Book

772
Coloring Book

In mid May Chance The Rapper released his third mixtape Coloring Book after much anticipation. The mixtape expressed his joy of becoming a new father, his love for not only his girlfriend but music, creativity, independence, and Chicago. While he features popular names such as Kanye West, Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Justin Bieber, and many more the sound is quite different than that of his mainstream counterparts. Coloring Book is jammed packed with witty lines worthy of Instagram selfie captions. However, here are a few of the best.

1. "This ain't the intro this the entree"

In All We Got Chance starts the mixtape off with informing his fans that even his intro has substance. He cleverly prepares them for the joyride that are about to embark on.

2. "None of my niggas ain't have no dad, none of my niggas ain't have no choice"

Summer Friends tells a bitter sweet tale of young Black boys having to grow up far too fast. The narrative of fatherless Black boys is one that many fans can resonate with. Chance combines eerie vocals with an upbeat tempo to propel his message in this third track as he tells how Summer friends don't stay.

3. "I don't make songs for free, I make them for freedom"

Chance is creating a career off of free music. In a Rolling Stone interview he questions "What's an album these days, anyways? Cause I didn't sell it, does that mean it's not an official release? So I might not ever drop a for-sale project". His music is liberating due to the heavy handed message he infuses it with.

4. "Jesus' Black live ain't matter"

This is truly the most profound lyric on the entire mixtape. Chance acknowledges the #Blacklivesmatter movement, and the unending mistreatment of Black people. However, what he's truly interrogating is the White washing of Christianity. In an mixtape that uses Christian influences juxtaposed with urban Black culture how could he not confront the Whiteness that is projected onto the face of Christianity. Many may have viewed clips of Megyn Kelly's statement that "Jesus is a White man." Also, the poem by Crystal Valentine titled And the News Reporter Says Jesus is White may have been viewed simultaneously. Crystal picks up where Chance leaves off as she explains how Jesus died the blackest death "with his hands up, in his mother's arms." Blessings is arguably my favorite song on the album.

5. " How can they call themselves bosses when they've got so many bosses? You gotta see what your boss say I get it straight out the faucet"

Throughout the mixtape Chance expresses distaste of record labels and the control they have over artists. In Mixtape he enters the world of Young Thug and Lil Yachty. He takes on a sound similar to theirs as he displays his musical flexibility. Chance repeatedly questions if he's the only on that still cares about mixtapes as his featured rappers carry on a typical verse.

6. "I just had a growth spurt, it done took so long my tippy toes hurt"

Similar to a child Chance stood on his tippy toes to grasp things that were currently out of his reach. However, his career is taking off and he's reaching the success he dreamed of. He expresses that his core values are the same. While he's matured and grown he is still true to his home town, even his number from 7th grade, and the same church he's attended for year. Angels is certainly a song that screams of faith, loyalty, and blessings.

7. "I used to hide from G-d, ducked down in the slums like sshh"

How Great is truly one of the most breathtaking songs in Coloring Book. Chance like Adam and Eve attempted to hide from G-d when he sinned. What is most profound is that he hid somewhere that he thought G-d couldn't see, the slums. This makes the juxtaposition of Hip Hop and Gospel in the mixtape so amazing. Chance doesn't attempt to make watered down Hip Hop to appeal to conservative Christian. He spits profanity infused bars with heavy handed mentioning of a higher power. Many are hesitant to mention G-d in their music. Similarly, many fans have draw backs in regards to religious music. Instead, he's appealing to those like him that feel as though the hood is some unreachable place that blessings cannot reach. He debunks that notion as he tells his narrative of drug addiction and hardships.

8. "Last year got addicted to xans started forgetting my name and started missing my chance"

Throughout the mixtape he discuses his addiction to xanax which ultimately could have ruined him and his career. The track Finish Line is one of overcoming obstacles such as a drug addiction, yet still came out on top. This points to why the mixtape has such a severe influence of gospel as Chance attributes all of his success to a higher power. This clever play on words displays the Chance G-d gave him when he simply believed.

9. "Gimme the water, gimme the water, I need the kind from Space Jam"

This line references "Michael's Secret Stuff" that was believed to have given him all his basketball abilities. It also is a play on holy water as the tracks are heavily influenced by Gospel and Christian narratives. The second part of Finish Line is Drown. Choir takes over ending with "the water may be deeper than it's ever been, never drown." This speaks volumes to what Chance expressed throughout the entire mixtape. Coloring Book is truly profound.