8 Unexpected Things I Gained From Joining A Sorority

I knew I would gain sisters, but I had no idea about the rest.
565

On November 12th, 2017, the newest chapter of Chi Omega was installed at Coastal Carolina University. I never saw myself in a sorority and I didn’t really know what to expect. The only exposure I had to sororities was what I had seen in movies, which I now know was completely inaccurate. I wasn’t expecting to join a sorority, and I definitely wasn’t expecting to gain so much. Aside from the ninety-seven sisters I now have for life, I also have so much more.

1. Confidence and self-love

Being accepted into a selective group of astonishing young women was the ULTIMATE confidence booster. As soon as other people saw potential in me, I was able to see the potential in myself. From bid day on, I could thoroughly appreciate myself and all I had to offer. As I became closer and closer to my sisters, I became more and more comfortable with myself.

2. Greek community

Being chartered just this year, we spent the better part of our first semester running around lost and confused. Fortunately for us, we joined the most welcoming and helpful greek community out there. Through homecoming, mixers, Panhellenic events, Greek Week, and other activities, we have had the opportunity to work with so many other Greek organizations. The connections and friendships I’ve made outside of my sorority are just as important and valued as the ones on the inside.

3. Motivators/supporters

In so many ways, having a sorority behind you is like having a 24/7 Support Team. No matter the time of day or night, if I have a problem, I have ninety-seven girls to help me out. It’s basically impossible to have a bad day because anytime I see a sister on campus, my mood is instantly lifted. The genuineness and authenticity that surrounds me when I'm with my sisters is a constant motivator to push myself to the best of my ability.

4. Coffee dates

By coffee dates, I mean coffee dates, dinner dates, lunch dates, beach dates, baseball game dates, library dates, and just about anywhere else. I always have someone to hang out with. Obviously, my sorority has brought me my best friends, but my favorite thing to do still is putting in our group message that I’m going to lunch and just seeing who wants to come. It has given me the opportunity to meet the most amazing girls, of whom I would not have met otherwise. Life is a crazy, hectic thing, but I know I’ll never have to do it alone.

5. Advisors

The practical purposes of advisors are to offer leadership and management to our chapter. But they have so much more to offer than their practical purposes. Having an advisor is basically like having your mom at college with you. They provide endless amounts of wisdom and insight and unfailingly support every single one of us in whatever we do. Our advisors have all been in the same exact positions as us, so they can help as a leader, a mentor, and when need be, a sister.

6. Consultants

In Chi Omega, all new chapters have an in-residence National Leadership Consultant. Our NLCs provide professional leadership and guidance for our chapter. Our NLCs so far have been the most fearless, strong, beautiful women who have devoted their entire lives for four months at a time to building one of the most incredible chapters. The hard work, determination, and persistence they have put in is the reason we have been able to achieve great things our first year. Their ability to effortlessly love and care for every single one of us has truly inspired me to become a better person. Our NLCs have given us someone to look up to and go to with any problem. They served as leaders, my best friends, and most importantly, my greatest role models.

7. Alumnae

Being the largest and one of the oldest women’s Greek organizations, Chi Omega, has an enormous alumnae base. No matter where life takes me after college, I will always have a sister, supporter, and friend in the area. But even more importantly, the alumnae serve as inspiration. We have sisters who went into acting, writing, and performing. We have sisters who are doctors and we have sisters who are senators. We have sisters all over the world in every career imaginable. Our sisters have achieved wild and lofty goals and if they can do it, we can do it.

8. The world (well basically)

Being a part of a sorority has provided me with so many opportunities, from leadership to self-development, to bettering the community. I never thought I would join a sorority, but looking back, I cannot see myself without one.