8 Criminally Underrated Female Music Artists And Bands

8 Criminally Underrated Female Musicians and Bands

Spice up your music selection with these powerful females.

233

Music is, without a doubt, empowering to many! It's important to find music that speaks to you and keep your playlist fresh. Music has always been my go-to when I have downtime, while I am studying, or out and about. Finding new music is exciting, and sharing my music taste is even more exciting!

Personally, I have been finding lots of inspirational and talented female artists that have been dominating my 2018 Favorites playlist that are highlighted below.

The Aces

I've been a fan of The Aces ever since they opened for COIN on their latest tour. An all-girl band hailing from Utah, they pack the punch with the perfect mix of alternative and pop. The tone of the guitar gives a beachy, summer type feel, and when the other instruments and vocals join in, it turns into joyful fun. A lot of their lyrics deal with relatable issues, but with the vibe of the song, it makes it easier to listen to, and more importantly, to jam out in the car with your windows down to. Each of their songs tells a story, and their music videos add a whole new whimsical perspective to the story as well.

My favorites: "Last One," "Fake Nice," "Baby Who"

Glades

On another end of the music spectrum, lies a trio from Sydney, Australia with an electronic feel. However, the indie pop presence is still prevalent. Glades is female fronted, with vocalist and guitarist Karina Wykes, and multi-instrumentalist males Joseph Wenceslao and Cameron Robertson. Listening to them brings an uplifting feeling full of possibility, but could also make sense when listening to while running around adventuring with friends and making memories.

My favorites: "Drive," "Dangerous," "Speechless," "Her (Loving You)"

Alina Baraz

Alina Baraz, age 24 from Ohio, has been getting more love since her song "Fantasy" debuted on her 2015 EP with Galimatias. Since then she has only been gaining more recognition, especially after her collaboration with R&B artist Khalid with their song "Electric," but she definitely deserves some more love! The contemporary R&B style is distinguishable and combines some pop influence. Her smooth, sultry voice and dreamy lyrics combined make for a very pleasurable listening experience. A lot of her lyrics hint towards intimacy and romance, I find myself listening to her when I want to relax, or on night drives.

My favorites: "I Don't Even Know Why Though," "Maybe," "Electric"

King Princess

Mikaela Straus, known as King Princess, is 19 years old and is from Brooklyn, New York. It's very inspiring and empowering to see young women enter, and completely kill it in the music industry. Alternative, mellow, with some pop hints, her voice and music is warm and inviting. Her lyrics tell these stories, sometimes dark ones, that you can picture clearly in your head while you are listening. King Princess adds the same storytelling aspect as the female artists featured here, but with a more nostalgic and somber (in the best way possible) feeling. Talia tells a heartbreaking narrative of a breakup, but surprisingly it is still easy to listen to.

My favorites: "Talia," "1950," "Upper West Side"

Anna of the North

I've been a long time fan of Anna of the North (Anna Lotterud, hailing from Gjøvik, Norway) and it is so exciting to see her collaborating with artists such as HONNE, The Chainsmokers, and G-Eazy. Recently I watched To All The Boys I've Loved Before and I was so excited to hear one of her songs (Lovers) on the soundtrack! Her music is described as electro-pop, I like to tell people her music is easy, dreamy, and real. The combination of the raw emotions put into the vocals and the easy electronic instrumentals makes for a truly incredible listening experience.

My favorites: "Sway," "Someone," "Lovers," "Baby," "Us"

L Devine

L Devine, a 19-year-old singer-songwriter from Newcastle, England, has the perfect amount of that bubblegum pop feel. Her music brings that teenage, fun, reckless, and crazy feeling that makes it so exciting to be a teenager. Lyrically, she tackles a lot of the things faced in adolescence and growing up.

My favorites: "Like You Like That," "Growing Pains," "Party On Our Own"

Sigrid

Sigrid Solbakk Raabe, known as Sigrid, started her musical journey in Norway. Her music is described as synth-pop. The song that drew me into her music was "Don't Kill My Vibe." Like her other songs, the song struck me as powerful and empowering. Whenever you're having a bad day, blast "Don't Kill My Vibe" while either taking a drive or dancing around in your room. You'll feel better, guaranteed. Her voice has a certain rough quality to it while remaining feminine, all around impressive.

My favorites: "Don't Kill My Vibe," "Plot Twist," "Schedules," "High Five"

Wild Ones

Wild Ones is a female fronted pop band with four male instrumentalists. One thing that stuck out to me was that they are from Portland, Oregon, which is very close to my hometown so it brings some positives vibes along with it. They immediately stuck out to me due to the refreshing, down-tempo but still upbeat pop instrumentals. The vocals are soft with a surprisingly unique twist. Lyrics-wise, they are carried by the dreamy and chilled out nature of the songs.

My favorites: "Invite Me In," "Dim the Lights," "Paia"