8 Things True New Yorkers Do

8 Things True New Yorkers Do

These a few things that true New Yorkers from the city have done and continue to do.

187
8 Things True New Yorkers Do
Cloudfront

Born and raised in the city that never sleeps, I've encountered various crazy things as well as participated in them myself. Nevertheless, if you've grown up in the hectic city that is New York, you've seen these acts face to face, which makes the bond with other New Yorkers special compared to other cities. The following are acts/scenarios that only New Yorkers know about.

1. "SHOWTIME, SHOWTIME!"

Most of the time when getting on the subway, we're bound to encounter young men break dancing and giving us small performances on the moving train. We never pay much attention to them but get extremely anxious if they'll accidentally kick you in the face.

2. Avoiding Times Square at ALL costs

Time Square is a death trap. It's always jammed up with tourists walking at such a slow rate, taking pictures of street signs and billboards. There's nothing special about this place. It's honestly just filled with lights and too many overpriced yellow taxi's and hot dog stands that only tourists eat.

3. Sprinting ahead of slow walkers aka tourists

New York City is a fast paced environment, which means New Yorkers ALWAYS walk faster than most individuals. That being said, when we encounter walking behind tourists or slow walkers in general, it's a nightmare come to life. Personally, it's one of my biggest pet peeves, so I always have to shove my way to walk ahead of them. To tourists, for your own well-being, walk fast and please don't take photos in the middle of a busy sidewalk.

4. Hopping over the turnstile

We know that the fares for metrocards are skyrocketing. With spending so much money, all of those costs simply for a metrocard adds up and majority of the time we don't want to pay for the fare. Hopping over the turnstile (or going under which is what I do) becomes our best friend when it comes to saving money. It's a New York thing to do and almost like a right of passage too. Who cares if it counts as a misdemeanor? I'm still going to do it because the MTA is the biggest scam.

5. "Sick Passenger"

Hearing this phrase, especially when you're in a rush getting to a destination is hell on earth. The worst, is when the train is packed and there's no working air conditioning so you can hear people's music coming from their headphones and everyone's bodies are pressed up against each other.

6. "Baconeggcheese'' is ONE word

This New York City delicacy can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Whether it's for breakfast or you're starving at two in the morning and your deli across the street can make you one in no time. This iconic sandwich can be enjoyed plain or with ketchup and/mayo and is only acceptable to eat on a ROLL.

7. Being accompanied by a rat during late nights

Whether you're waiting for the delayed train to come or walking down the block late at night, you'll always be accompanied by a few large rats, it's almost like you're best friends with them.

8. Timbs are a staple piece

Even though it's become a meme, Timberlands, or Timbs, originated in New York City, having it become a staple piece for so many New Yorkers. So if you don't own at least a pair, are you really a New Yorker?