8 Times 'New Girl' Perfectly Explained The "Sophomore Slump"

Jess and the other characters of 'New Girl' clearly understand.

10

Everyone has probably heard of the phenomenon called "the sophomore slump" that happens to college students across the nation. If you have not heard of this before, it's honestly pretty self-explanatory. When sophomore college students return to their university after freshman year, they can sometimes experience a sense of diminished motivation because of their lack of privileges they previously had as a freshman. They are one step closer to being shoved into the real world, because the thrill of freshman year is gone.

Sophomores are expected to start taking harder upper-division classes, declare a major, figure out where to study abroad and what program to do, etc... It's actually a lot of responsibility to give to students who just went a year of basically being babied (with certain things at least).

To give everyone a better insight to what the "sophomore slump" really looks like, here are eight times where "New Girl" perfectly showed this phenomenon:

1. Emotions are hard to figure out, OK?

It's a quick turn of events when you go from having everything emotionally figured out at the end of freshman year to having nothing figured out at the beginning of sophomore year.

2. No one else understands.

A naive freshman tries to comfort you when you're gettin' all emo about nothing, and you can't help but quickly shut them down.

3. The university doesn't give you the classes you want.

So we're expected to begin taking upper division classes by our sophomore year, yet we still have some of the worst enrollment times on the planet. Seriously, help a brotha out.

4. Going out just isn't the same.

You're getting ready for a party, and it hits you that you no longer have the freshman privilege and can't boss around the frat guys to get you and your friends drinks.

5. Sometimes staying in seems like the better option.

Who wouldn't rather listen to Taylor Swift alone...? Sounds like a better option than dealing with DAB freshmen.

6. It feels like you're life progress is now in reverse.

OK, maybe not your life progress, but it can definitely feel like you've been f*cking up left and right.

7. Again, emotions are confusing.

One moment you want to punch someone in the face, and the next you just want to cuddle-puddle with a fluffy puppy. It's all very confusing.

8. Priorities are sometimes a little skewed.

Sometimes we just have those days (or weeks) where watching your favorite movie multiple times in a row is a necessity, and homework can wait.

S/o to "New Girl" for always keeping it real and helping the world understand what sophomores go through during this awful time (jk it's not so bad being a sophomore).