8 Things You Should Know How To Do Before Going To College

Your mom isn't coming to school with you

73
BuzzFeedBlue

Since being at college for over 3 years, I’ve come to notice some students seem more prepared than others to be on their own. It honestly surprises me how many people don't know how to do the most basic life necessities for themselves by the time they are in college. If you’re a current high school senior getting ready to go off to college, please make sure that someone teaches you how to do all of these things before you move out on your own.

1. How to do your own laundry

It seems pretty crazy to me that someone going off to college doesn’t know how to put a load of laundry into the washing machine. I have been doing my own laundry since I was 11-years-old, and I know others may not have learned that early on, but by the time you have some sense of independence you should know how to keep yourself and your clothes clean, or at least learn how to clean out a damn lint trap once in a while.

2. How to have a minimum-wage job

For all the complaining that college students do about not having any money, practically 75% of them (from my experience anyway) do nothing about it. If you’ve never had a job before going to college, then there are normally plenty of work-study jobs to apply for on campus. I honestly have no pity for people who don’t at least attempt to fix their own problems.

3. How to make a grilled cheese sandwich

I’ll admit, I didn’t know how to cook before going off to college. It wasn’t until this year, when I got an on-campus apartment, that I decided I should probably know how to make something more than spaghetti. That being said, I knew how to feed myself in case I missed a meal at school. Grilled cheese, mac n’ cheese, pasta, salad, etc. are all meals college freshman should definitely know how to make for themselves.

4.How to hand-wash dishes

I have a dishwasher in my apartment, which is really nice. When I lived in a dorm room I had a very minimal amount of dishes to wash since I usually ate in the dining hall most meals. Yet, I at least know how to wash dishes properly. Especially cooking for myself and my roommates, I know what should and should not go in the dishwasher and what should be soaked and what should be scrubbed. Much to my dismay at the time, my mother has given me my fair share of dishes to wash while growing up at home.

5. How to communicate effectively with others

College freshman normally do not get to pick their own roommates, so you will most likely be placed in a room with a complete stranger. Living so closely with someone can usually cause some types of conflict to arise at one point. Instead of being passive aggressive and talking behind each other’s backs, most college students need to learn to effectively communicate with one another.

6. How to save money

Don’t blow all the money you’ve made at the bar every week or go shopping on Amazon more often than needed. Remember, there will still be books, supplies, and rooming décor you will need to buy throughout the year so make sure to save that money up for when you really need it. Plus, having extra money means more spontaneous fun trips to the mall or to a restaurant when you feel like getting off campus.

7. How to send a professional email

In college, you will be writing a lot of emails to professors, potential employers, and even other students that need to look professional. If you aren’t the best with grammar, download Grammarly or use spell check to make sure that everything is written well. You could be the smartest person in the world, but the way that you write to another person says something about how you will apply yourself professionally in the future.

8. How to take responsibility

No longer will you be able to have your mom drag you out of bed in the morning for school or remind you of that big exam coming up. That is all you, Kid! Get a planner, keep up with all of your syllabi, and actually study and do your homework. Your GPA will thank you for it!