8 Things You Know To Be True If You Are A Perfectionist

You tend to be your own worst critic.

138

Being a perfectionist is a blessing and a curse. It allows you to aim for perfection in all aspects of your life which can be a good thing in theory, yet is highly unrealistic. You often are very stubborn because of this but cannot seem to step away from your habits. You've accepted the fact that you are more Type-A than not and that getting things done the "right" way is something that is always going to be a part of your DNA. Here are eight things you know to be true if you are a fellow perfectionist:

1. Simple tasks take you longer than they should.

Washing the dishes can take you forever because you need to make sure that the pan is squeaky clean. And folding laundry takes way longer than it should, and often involves re-folding.

2. You annoy those around you.

People who are not fellow perfectionists tend to not have patience for your habits. They usually can care less about the things that drive you up a wall.

3. You tend to be a little competitive.

Striving for perfection can also result in you being a little too competitive at times. But trying to be perfect means being the best, right? Maybe?

4. You get mad at yourself if something is not up to your standards.

You hate handing in projects or tests that you know you could've done better on. Or having something as simple as a batch of cookies not coming out how you wanted them to is enough to upset you.

5. You're stubborn and tend to not let people do things for you.

Perfectionists tend to be stubborn because no one can do things how we like them to be done. I am very peculiar about how I dry certain clothes, clean my room, and distribute the proper ratio of peanut butter and jelly onto my sandwich. So thank you, but no you cannot do those things for me.

6. If you're forced to work with others, you tend to take the lead.

You cannot sit by and let a group project go down the toilet. You are too much of a perfectionist to hand in work that is sub par and allow your group members to make you look bad.

7. You love making lists.

Being a perfectionist, you usually need an order in how to get things done as well as a visual. You love making lists and getting to cross off each of the tasks you complete as you do them.

8. You're your own worst critic.

No one really cares about how perfect something comes out as much as you. But somehow, no matter how many times you tell yourself this, you cannot be as carefree as you wish to be.