8 Things I Wish I Would Have Known Before Going To College

Tips for making college less stressful.

10
1985Luke Photography

Moving away from home and going to college is a big step for most people. A lot of change happens during a person's college experience, and for many it's full of excitement and a bundle of nerves. More prominently, it's a big step into the unknown. I wouldn't change my college experience because it's brought me to where I am now. After being at a university for a few years though, there are a few things that would have been helpful to know. Below are a few things I wish I would have known before going away to college.

1. You'll feel lost sometimes.

You are moving to a new place with complete strangers. In addition, you’re expected to know what you want to do with your life. In the middle of meeting new people and taking classes, you’ll find yourself lost in the bustle of it all. You’ll question your actions and decisions, and there will be times when you are so lost you feel alone, but its normal and it wont last forever.

2. The freshmen fifteen is real.

It’s better not to learn this the hard way because once you gain it, it’s hard to lose. Dining hall food is known to pack on the pounds. Not only that, but your parents aren’t there to cook your meals anymore. If you want ice cream for dinner, you can, and that’s where the problems start. Be conscious of what you are eating and how much.

3. You lose friends and then gain some.

People change in college. It’s all a part of growing up. Some of the friends you met in grade school or high school start to slip away, and eventually you might lose them. Where friends have gone, more are sure to come. You’ll meet new people everyday; it’s just a matter of putting yourself out there.

4. Joining clubs/activities is a great way to feel a part of something.

My first year of college, I didn’t join anything. I struggled that year to make friends. The following year I joined two clubs, and I absolutely loved them. I met some pretty great people, as well as a few awesome friends. Not only that but being a part of something has helped me learn more about myself. It’s taught me more than I ever thought it would.

5. Everyone has a different college experience.

Everyone is different. In result, everyone chooses a different path to reach the end of their journey. People have different goals and different ways to live out their experience the way they want to. No way is better than the other.

6. Bad grades happen.

School gets a little bit harder when you enter college. Professors aren’t as lenient; Their deadlines and strict guidelines for assignments aren’t a joke. There will be times you study your butt off for an exam, and you get the score back and it’s a low C. It happens.

7. You get a taste of the adult life.

Especially if you decide to live in an apartment at some point, adulting becomes all too real. You’ll have to grocery shop on your own, as well as cook your own meals. The terrible word “bills” pops up more frequently in your daily life and each day you slowly understand why your parents tell you to stop rushing to grow up.

8. Time will fly.

You might be told this countless times by people, but you don’t fully realize the truth of it until you see it happening. Enjoy the time you have in college because it will end in an instant. Take on opportunities and put yourself out there because it will all be over before you know it.