8 Things To Do In Northeast Ohio This Spring

Beat that cabin fever

21

Spending the days couped up in the winter is one of my least favorite things about living in Northeast Ohio. Around mid-February, my cabin fever is sky high and I’m ready to get out, so when Spring hits, I’m more than ready to get outside. Here are some of my favorite things to do in Ohio when the temperature breaks:

Visit Gardens and Arboretums

There’s nothing cuter than wandering outside in the fresh Spring air staring at newly bloomed flowers. Seriously. Nothing cuter. Take a trip to the Secret Arboretum or Fellows Riverside Gardens and check out what they have bloomin’.

Go Waterfall Hunting

I’ve always been calmed by the sound of running water, but it’s hard to find in Ohio when it’s still chilly out. Luckily, finding sunny spots to look at waterfalls isn’t quite as hard. The best one I’ve found in the Youngstown area is Lanterman’s Falls at Lanterman’s Mill and it’s super fun to follow the trails around it to to seek out other water sources. There are tons at Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and at Nelson’s Ledges in Garrettsville. Not only are they calming, but they make for some bomb pictures, too.

Take a Road Trip

Windows down, music blasting, sun shining -- does it really even matter where you end up? Grab your friends or your significant other and hit the road. My favorite place to road trip to in the Spring is Legacy Village in Cleveland (cutest little shops to accompany the roadtrip).

Grow Something

I’m far from a girl with a green thumb, but something about spring makes me think that I can grow a garden. And by that, I mean I go to Target and get the $5 plant kits that come in little tins or pots and assemble them (open the seed packets and the dirt and pour some water on it). Then, I wait until my mediocre plants grow and claim them as my pride and joy. Maybe this year, I’ll start a real garden. Or try to. I’ll keep y’all updated.

Drive-In Movies

Nothing beats a warm, springy day ending with watching a movie on the big screen. Although drive-ins are few and far between these days, Ohio has a few! I always go to the one on Elm Road in Warren; just be sure to bring a radio and don’t let your car battery die. Trust me, that’s the worst.

Volunteer

Get outside and help your community at the same time! Gather litter, help plant flowers and trees in your community, or volunteer to walk dogs at your local shelter.

Get Crafty

Consult Pinterest and find some new crafts to update your house’s decor, or find crafts to do with the little kids in your life. Once, I attempted to recreate some flower blossoms onto a canvas with paint; while it didn’t go to smoothly, I still had fun. This year, I’m painting planters to bring some brightness to my room.

Go to a Baseball Game

Baseball season is my favorite season, and nothing makes me happier than heading out to Progressive Field to catch a game. Gather your friends and go drink a few beers and watch America's favorite game.