8 Things To Do When Life Does NOT Go As Planned At 19

Because sh*t happens.

152

If my 19 years on this earth have taught me anything, it's that life is hard and sh*t happens.

But so far I, and you, have survived all of our worse days and are here to tell the tale. But since there's sure to be many more along the way, here are 8 things to do when life just doesn't go as planned.

1. Take 60 seconds to freak the f*ck out.

Be angry. Be frustrated. Be sad. Cry. Curse at the world. Scream into the void. Let it all fall apart for 60 entire seconds, and then let it go. However small or large your derailment, once those 60 seconds are over it’s time to get back on track. Clinging to the feelings brought about by your problems won’t make them go away and it won’t fix what went wrong.

2. Go see your friends.

Your friends are your friends for a reason. They’re your support system, your go-to people, and a way to stay afloat in the craziness of life. Be open with them, and let them help you. Especially if you’re away at college, your friends become your second family. They want to help you and see you succeed.

3. Go to the gym.

Sweat out all the frustration and other feelings you have from your mishap. Punch a bag or lift some weights or go for a run. There’s an exercise for everyone, whether it’s some relaxing yoga or some hardcore kickboxing, those endorphins will do you some good.

4. Take a shower.

Or a bath. Fill it with things that smell good. Use all your favorite expensive body scrub and face masks that you save for special occasions. Take up all the hot water, and only come out when you feel relaxed and ready to take on your next task.

5. Watch a feel good movie.

In the face of hard times, sometimes the best thing you can do is laugh. Watch something filled with puppies, or a super sappy love story(with a side of wine and ice cream). Take the time to get lost in a world other than your own. You can’t escape forever, but it doesn’t hurt to take a little break.

6. List five things thats make you happy

However arbitrary they may seem, take the time to remember five things that make you happy because this moment of unhappiness will fade and those five things will be there on the other side of it.

8. Take a nap.

If all else fails, light a candle, put on your favorite sweatpants, and take a nap. You can deal with it later.

No one gets through life unscathed. Plans fall apart and bad things happen, from sleeping through your alarm to failing a class you needed for your major, everyone is bound to get knocked over at least a time or two. No matter how bad that situation, there's always a way to feel better and make it through to tomorrow.